Is it safe to say Campsie isn't gentrifying any time soon?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by jaybean, 20th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They can do crime just as well as other areas :confused:

doublebrick likes this.
  2. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Campsie is very much high density, i dont see how it will gentrify much other than being more in demand as population increases.
    When is the last time you have been in Belmore?
    Belmore has very much gentrified in the past 5 years, new unit blocks and hipsters everywhere.
    Can count 10+ cafes on the main strip with many restaurants to choose from.
    Much better/cleaner area than Campsie IMO, i still growth potential here which is why i plan on buying as soon as i can.
    Good units near the station are very much in high demand and sell usually before the first open home.
    Only issue is Lakemba is right next door so there is that stigma being a boundary suburb, But hey Greenacre is next to Strathfield as well.

qak and George Smiley like this.
  3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I used to go to Campsie a fair bit to see my physio, it has definitely improved since shops like Habitana and 85 degrees have opened, but definitely not to the same degree as Ashfield. The new development along Liverpool Road helps bring in nicer shops, but its not happening on Beamish St yet. Ashfield Mall has improved a lot also in recent years. Other decent non-Westfields nearby are Leichhardt Marketplace and Marrickville Metro.

4. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Admittedly it's been years. Actually thinking about it I can see the appeal with the streets to the immediate east of Belmore station and also those east of Burwood Rd in general stretching out to Belmore Sports Ground. Probably a few more cafes and refurbished eateries there now so might have to pay a visit.

5. devank

devank Well-Known Member

About 25 years ago, as a student on Austudy, I lived in Campsie in a shared accommodation. This was the cheapest suburb I could find at that time. But, it was reasonably close enough to the city. Safe enough suburb. I never felt threaten.
    I could find plenty of cheap ethnic food.
    We need some suburbs like that!

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Thing is, I remember Campsie from 40 years ago - it was better then than it is now. So it may have improved in the last 10 or 15 years, but it really declined a lot.

7. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Noticed the same, the Shanghai restaurants (opposite side of road from pub is best) used to be 95% Chinese customers, then about 3 years ago it all changed westerners with tight jeans questionable tattoos and beards were half of the clientele

Not sure if it is inner west overflow or people seeking out a trendy cultural experience

doublebrick likes this.