Is it possible to add extra bedroom in 3b house before selling?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SteffS, 20th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

We got 5.7m X 3.7m rumpus area where we want to add additional 4th bedroom to our 40yrs old 3b house. Wondering if it's doable? What is the general procedure? Do I have to seek approval from council? Do I have to pay any big amount to for this process? Guessing the room itself will cost about $20k (?)

Basically I am trying to see if we add 4th bedroom before selling the house it will likely fetch extra 50 to 100k based on current sold similar properties in local area.

Thanks guys

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Have you got a floor plan?

Archaon likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What needs to be done to convert from a rumpus room to a bedroom?

if it’s just adding a non load bearing wall and a door then it won’t cost much.

How many other living areas does the house have?

Also, buyers may see the rumpus room and think that they could convert it in future - so the possibility of conversion could be a selling point without you doing anything.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

For a 3 bed house, i think buyers will notice that its just a converted rumpus. They might think no living space as opposed to, oo 4th bedroom.

craigc and Archaon like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It costs very little to put a partition wall in, if that's all that's needed, however a floor plan would help to see if there are other living areas & if the rumpus is in a logical place to make a bedroom out of part of it.

MTR likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You would be surprised by how little some people think.

7. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, there is enough living space and other 3 are decent size bedrooms, so we are pretty much thinking of adding just a wall/partition in the rumpus area.

With such change/alteration do you think we can advertise our house as 4b during sale? Or we need to officially make it 4b by completing any formalities from council side?

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Will the new room have adequate light and ventilation? in other words, are the windows already in the correct places or will you have to add and move windows. If so, then council will need to be involved.

9. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

There are no regs about the number of bedrooms assuming they meet the requirements for ventilation and light as @Angel as noted.

I remember many years ago visiting a friend in their rented room in inner city Sydney. The slum landlord had built the dividing wall down the middle of the built in bed when he partitioned up the property, and my first room after leaving home was a 150cm wide covered in terrace ($5 per week).

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Luxury... :D:p

Mark F likes this.
  11. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, the room has good ventilation and light.

So if I understood it correctly, if there is a need to make any additional changes for a adequatelight and ventilation then only we need to approach to council?

Can I advertise it as 4b house when trying to sell or rent out?

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You must not completely rely on comments from strangers on a forum. Please confirm with your local council - search their website and if still not sure, make a phone call. You do not have to give them your exact address.

wylie, Joynz and qak like this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

So long as it complies, then yes.

14. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

When we did this many years ago council did not care what we call the room, there only requirements was.
    1 No structural changes required
    2. The room met the requirements for Opening windows, Ceiling heights, entry door size, natural light and I think there was a Min size requirement as well.
    3. We had a wall installed with the door, some cornice and carpet and bingo a 5th bedroom.

15. PeterProperty

PeterProperty Active Member

I'll just put it out there - I'm not 100% sure of it, so you will have to check in NSW if anything similar exists.

But I believe in VIC there is a rule that for a room to be considered a bedroom, it must have a cupboard built within it - the cupboard may have minimum requirements, I'm not sure.

Otherwise, the room is considered a study.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I doubt that could true.

Built-in wardrobes only became common in the 1970s. We built our first house in 1974 (Qld) and only had built-in cupboards in the main bedroom. We had free-standing wardrobes in the other two bedrooms.

craigc likes this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’d be surprised if this is correct - in fact I think it is highly unlikely.

craigc and wylie like this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I believe you are mistaken.

19. PeterProperty

PeterProperty Active Member

I may be mistaken here, but my two data points were when we were looking for a 4 bedroom home (new established).

1. We walked into one place and the vendor had 'disguised' the threatre room as a bedroom; claiming it was the 4th bedroom (had a window and door). Our agent said it couldn't be a bedroom as it did not have a cupboard (and was clearly a theatre room).

2. We inspected another place which had a study (study also had a window and a door). The selling agent was claiming the study as the 4th bedroom. But again, our agent said that wasn't the case claiming the cupboard comment (and again, clearly a study with a desk).

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Typically a change to a room function may requires approval and a revised occupancy certificate and this can vary a bit. Gyprock and a door wont cost more than $2K but the flooring may add further. Built in may add another $1K depending on size. I would also be discussing this proposal with an agent. They may find the living spaces inadequate for a 4 bedder and so the expected $50-$100K higher value is not going to happen and the house is then a problem to sell. 4 beds are a family home and families will want space and expect 2 - 2.5 bathrooms min.

wylie likes this.