Is it illegal to report child abuse at Nauru now?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by devank, 2nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Is this really happening in Australia??

This article is from The Guardian.

Set aside the refugee/boat issue. How can our own people agree to allow a law which makes it illegal to report child abuse?

Is this news really true.

2. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

I havent really looked into it apart from what Ive heard on mainstream media (which often get it very wrong) but as a mandatory reporter, I sincerely hope it's not true.... but think there must be some truth to the rumour. It really makes you wonder what the priorities of this despicable his government are.

devank likes this.
  3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to call tony Abbott an unqualified success and a humanitarian.

AndrewTDP likes this.
  4. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

An incredibly sad example of what happens when you dehumanise people for short term political gains.

sanj likes this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I read

Sheet, I sign confidentiality agreements with most companies I've worked for :confused:

I read the article but am confused, who's abusing the kids?

6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I think we need to hear a few actual examples of cases where these incidents occurred...and by whom.

Everyone is quick to blame the current Gubb for all the evils we currently have to endure - but many have been around for far longer than that.

I've even heard (by Left wing folk) that TA is the cause of the current deficit - now; come on.

I am sure the Gubb and the Immigration people are working towards fixing the problems.

The terms "substandard and harmful care" get thrown around a lot by folks.

We are not providing the HIlton Hotel for these people. It is a place to go to which is temporary, basic and better than where they were.

I vote we all give 50% of our incomes towards improving their conditions.

7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Plenty of actual examples out there by pepple on the ground, if you're genuinely interested it will take all of 10 seconds to find

devank and LibGS like this.
  8. Bayview

Indeed.

But we have to be well aware of who is publishing what....and why. Agendas are a plenty.

For example; I have yet to hear any left wing biased media (ABC Radio 774 for one) actually congratulate the Lib Govt on stopping boats. This was something the majority of Aus citizens wanted based on last election as an example.

No; instead, all we ever hear from them is how the problem has been shifted to somewhere else by the heartless TA Gubb and his cohorts, or, there are kids allegedly being traumatized etc in the Centres. Maybe they still are, but at least recognise that the numbers are significantly down on how many are there in the first place.

It is a difficult situation, but at least give credit where it is due - the numbers making the trips are way down, and the numbers in the Centres are way down. We are actually improving the situation to some degree.

This might be interesting to some:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/C899

and this;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...-fails-detainees/story-fni0ffxg-1227220554758

and this;

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...brication-claims/story-fn59niix-1227078670083

and this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-were-fabricated/story-fni0cx12-1227078372834

You might like to post a couple of examples of your own, Sanj.

Does anyone actually think - or worse; believe - that the Aus Gubb would allow, hide abuse of children?

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2015
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I would think there would be internal reporting systems and processes for any such instances?

10. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here. It's brown kids being abused. As long as the boats stop that's all that matters right? Don't you trust the right wing media and internal processes to be honest?

devank likes this.
  11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Fear of any disclosure cannot be good.

devank likes this.
  12. Bayview

I didn't realise Labor and the Greens had a monopoly on compassion and human rights etc, and that only Liberals were guilty of acting based on anyone's skin colour?

Evil, murdering racists.

You are joking; right?

I think you'll find that the difference here is; right wing sector are looking at all these alleged incidents with objectivity - not blind belief - and scrutinising them more deeply.

You need to re-read this if you missed it;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...-fails-detainees/story-fni0ffxg-1227220554758

Just to confirm; under Labor there were 2000 kids in the Centres, now less than 200, apparently.

Whether they have merely gone elsewhere - or not started their trips here at all; the result is that far less of them are not making the trip here in the first place - gotta be good for saving lives.

13. Allgood

[QUOTE="Bayview, post: 11361, member: 734"
    Does anyone actually think - or worse; believe - that the Aus Gubb would allow, hide abuse of children?[/QUOTE]

As I said, I haven't really followed the matter closely, and would never think of a Government doing such a thing in the lucky country. But if it ever happened, it would be during Mr Rabbit's time as PM.

Maybe something like this. 'Ok all these rascally boat people are here illegally using services intended for our members of society. DOCS/FACs is totally understaffed and its a growth industry... and these people aren't our responsibility, hence if we stop people reporting on them it will free up support for those who its intended for.'

Okay, probably a bit too well thought-out for our Tone but I think you get the thought pattern. Just add a few 'Ah, Errr and Umms in there and it will be more believable. Im not saying they're endorsing child abuse, just that perhaps the children of boat people aren't high on the Government's agenda.

14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

BayView - you are missing the point here.
    My post is not about the refugee issues.

This is not about only TA either. Both major parties are together in this.

This is about making a law to stop people from reporting any criminal activity in our own country.

sanj, Chilliblue, AndrewTDP and 2 others like this.
  15. Bayview

No, I get exactly what the point is - the Gubb are stopping folks from PUBLICLY reporting alleged child abuse and so on.

The Gubb want these activists and for want of a better word; "whistle-blowers" to follow proper channels, instead of using the whole loud noise as a political stunt.

And when you see how the media report these issues - ABC and idiots like Waleed Aly to name a few - completely biased and sensationalistic...it's no wonder why.

Ordinarily; I would definitely be against any sort of muzzling of people to speak out. In this case, there is obviously some other agenda driving the reason to quiet these folks. I just don't know what the exact motive is yet - other than the damage these false reports are doing.

Some folks would call not giving a person a drink of water for a few hours in the heat as a form of "abuse". And I think this is one of the issues at the core of this.

You know; lots of handwringing types stirring up rubbish.

In a perfect world, these folks in detention centres would live in their own Country which was a good Country, and not bother coming here to create headaches for all of us and themselves.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2015
  16. Allgood

Good points Bayview.