Is grout cleaning worth it?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Propin, 6th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Selling my rental property - I’ve had two agents Through and both said not to bother regrouting. Both my hubby and I think the grout looks horrible, especially the bathrooms. Pictures aren’t that great sorry! Thoughts if it would make much difference please to have grout cleaned instead?I’m not sure if I’d consider doing the whole house but it may be worth it. Idea of cost? Brisbane Southside. Light grey shade is tiles. Thanks 79EFDB04-79DF-4A7C-9FE5-1FBCBC17CD46.png 1C49529D-2723-4E65-ADCC-D4780EA8D160.png E12828D7-1153-4BD2-B854-9A909404101B.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6th Oct, 2020
  2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I agree with agents. Minor detail in comparison to demographics. Concentrate who your market is for rental instead....

3. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Hang on a second.
    You want to regrout the tiles.
    A few questions to ask yourself.
    1) Will it bring more rent?
    2) Will it the tenant make it dirty after 1 year.
    3) How long before you recoup the money and time you have spend.

If you can answer these 3 question and be satisfied with the answers.
    Proceed with regrout.

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Grout Steam clean or weak acid wash?

Lizzie, Shazz@, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Sorry, I’ll change my post! I want to sell the property. I haven’t been able to sell. I’ve rented it for around 12 years and previous owner moved interstate and rented it for 2 years. Other properties in the area are very neat condition and owner occupied.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We visited friends last night who had their tiles (external patio) heavily cleaned and some sort of grout product added over the top, but it sinks in somewhat to the grout (which is why it needed to be cleaned). It looks amazing.

I would give it a really good scrub, and add grout pen or a thin layer of new grout over the top if the other properties in the area are in better condition. That dark grout is what my eye is drawn to. I would not regrout, but definitely try to get it clean.

David_SYD, craigc and Propin like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But they are selling??
    For minor cost I would re grout

if renting out again i would not bother with the cosmetics

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes re grout

it looks dirty, as a buyer it would put me off. Fresh and clean really important when selling

Caveat.... this is assuming minor costs to regrout?? $1000-2000

Propin likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Could you let me know name of company please. I’ll take a look at what they offer. I just found this picture from when I moved out 7 years ago. It’s a lot lighter!! 678F3C72-354B-439C-A59C-8CC9D5F31EAB.png

10. wylie

I've asked my friend for the name. I have a lot of things to juggle right now, so if I forget to let you know, give me a nudge.

Propin likes this.
  11. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Paint over the tiles and colour the existing grout with a grout pen if you’re looking for an inexpensive solution.

Skinman and MTR like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Done this white knight, works well

13. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I’m a selling agent. You want your home to be presented at its absolute best to maximise price.

Buying a home is a largely emotional purchase, you want buyers thinking they can move straight in and picture themselves and their family enjoying themselves living in their new home, not making a list of things they need to address.

Grout is fairly minor, poorly presented is much more of a turn off than clean grout is a feature. No one will leave your home thinking the grout looks fantastic, but they will leave with an impression of a well maintained and clean home they can imagine themselves in.

Especially as competing properties are well presented - I would recommend addressing it.

Kryys, Bunbury, Lacrim and 3 others like this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve done that before but I’m in Perth so can’t DIY

David_SYD likes this.
  15. wylie

I'm sending a private message to you.

Propin likes this.
  16. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’ve cleaned grout with toilet bleach gel. Just run it along the grout lines. Amazing.

Lizzie, Lacrim, geoffw and 2 others like this.
  17. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Yes it is. I think your crazy not to. Such a small insignificant cost can make a huge differnce I got Jim's Cleaning to clean a house after a tennant left the house in a mess. It only cost about $400 for the whole house including walls windows stove and carpets the tiles component was only about $100 but the result was amazing. A House that looked like it was worth $200k , looked like it was worth 300k..

Bunbury, BunnyXiao, Firefly99 and 3 others like this.
  18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Wow!! Keep his number. I had a horrible Jim’s Cleaning franchiser. I was really ill and hospital would only discharge me when I had a cleaner sorted. He was charging me for 3 hours of work to do 2 hours of work claiming he worked hard. After 2 months the grout was going a bit mouldy. I asked him to clean it while cleaning the shower with a grout brush. He said he’d have to charge me double to do that. He also complained there was too much toothpaste on the bench for a quick wipe over. We both agreed it wasn’t going to work.

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Go to Bunnings and buy tile grout cleaner in the yellow bottle (spray bottle or 2litre) in the tile aisle. Spray on grout. Light scrub with bristle brush and wipe / rinse off and it will look a million dollars. It can make dirty grout white again. This stuff is brilliant. Doesnt dissolve grout. I was grossed out how dirty the rinse water was.

[​IMG]

fritzsticker, craigc, wylie and 3 others like this.
  20. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thanks! Sounds great! Tenants have moved and agent and PM are doing exit inspection shortly. I’ve gone through invoices and had the grout professionally cleaned 3.75 yrs ago. So I’ll see how it comes up! I had my carpet replaced at the same time in half of the house. The agent was saying it looked really worn. I wonder how it is after a clean. Quite confusing when the carpet in the other half of the house they matched is at least 12 years older than it but the newer carpet is in worse condition.

fritzsticker likes this.