Health & Family Iron overload disorder

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - that explains a lot ... blood tests 5 years ago came back with excess iron, but the doc didn't seem to worried - sent me to get tested for hemochromatosis (came back negative) and then seemed to peter out, with no treatment recommendations ... but, with new doc and new round of bloods, things have moved up a step

Not only do I have significantly excess iron - but it's leading to liver and kidney issues - hoping, when I get re-tested in 2 weeks she sends this chronic needle-phobic to blood let and I can get my life back on track.

Appears I've been having symptoms all my life, but just assumed it was normal because I knew no different. Lethargy is the big one - I'm not sleepy but constantly tired. I (and everyone else) just assumed it was laziness when I needed to loll around for a while.

The heart palpitation scare the bejesus out of me when they happen ... but it's the future problems that really have me scared ... organ failure, stroke, early onset parkinsons/dementia ...

Iron Overload

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2016
    Bran likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A friend has her blood taken every three or six months (?)

I wonder why the test came back negative?

So glad that you know what you are dealing with now and can protect yourself going forward.

3. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

hemochromatosis -- I'm getting tested for this next week. My mum is a carrier.

geoffw likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Is it inappropriate at this time to suggest "a course of leeches"?

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My test came back negative, just produce way to much and the body can't get rid of it ... good luck with your test and let us know how you go

6. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I went for my first full physical a couple of weeks ago......and highly recommend everyone consider doing the same. Blood work showed that my calcium levels was too high and Vitamin D too low. Hoping that treating Vitamin D deficiency will correct/balance out calcium in my blood. It's so weird that I had the same results some 20 years ago and it was explained away as osteoarthritis. Instead, osteo is a symptom of the disorder......not the cause.

Bran likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - I'm a bit annoyed it wasn't followed up/advised on properly 5 years ago ... by both myself and the doctor ... would've given me another 5 years of better life quality, rather than this lethargy haze I have lived in for longer than I can remember.

8. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

I've never heard of iron overload before. Do you have to ask for this specific test in the bloodwork or is this in a standard blood test? I have most of the symptoms but I always thought it was low blood pressure.

9. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. I have always tests with low blood pressure, low cholesterol and low anemia. It wasn't until I moved to the US, that my bloodwork and physical examination was more thorough.

Like you, I have felt lethargic for years and sometimes, so nauseated that I couldn't function.

I didn't ask for anything abnormal. It was part of standard testing in the US. I guess we rely on our doctors too much and if something abnormal turns ups, we don't usually question. Your post and mine, I hope, tells others know that we should never let anything go unexplained.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I have several friends with this disorder. Good news is that it is quite easily treated, they just had blood drawn every so often till the iron levels stabilised.
    Marg

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've found a new excuse: heavy blood vs heavy boned. :)

Adele likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The 'good' news is that the blood is awesome for other people with low iron.

Hubby was tested for haemochromatosis (his Dad does have it) but came back negative but still has high iron levels. The recommended course of action for him from GP was to donate blood every 6-12mths to keep his iron levels under control.

I hope you feel better after your iron overload comes down.

Jennifer Duke and Bran like this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

How do you get iron overload Lizzie?

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is just your body doing its thing. I don't believe it is anything you can control.

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

move your desk outside :) or better get the beach

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think it's specific that you have to ask for - it's not in with the normal cholesterol, diabetes tests.

Apparently iron overload is more common than low iron - but, with similar symptoms, people often assume they need iron supplements and compound the problem.

I also had really low blood pressure - slowly getting around normal range now that I'm approaching 50 - but better than high pressure!

Wylie is right - it's just your body doing it's thing. For a needle-phobic, I'm actually looking forward to the Doc saying "give blood". Have to get the haemoglobin tested first.

17. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

had a second round of blood tests for similar symptoms today, months of severe lethargy, headaches, mood swings, irritability - very frustrating after a couple of weeks. Doc doesn't suspect Haemochromotosis as some iron levels were too high, but others were normal.
    Doc also ordered a CT scan - nervous times

apparently 1 in 200 europeans/descendants carry the Haemochromotosis gene but only 1 in 5000 are diagnosed

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The hemochromatosis test is a simple blood test - if there is any uncertainty I'd get it done to make sure

19. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

yeh i was a bit frazzled after being told to get a CT scan, might push for it if nothing shows up on the next tests

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have a temporary iron overload.

I washed too many shirts at one time.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.