Iron Matrix prototype house could cost up to 30 per cent less to build

Discussion in 'Development' started by theperthurbanist, 15th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Interesting.. Shame it looks so sterile and commercial (at least from some angles), although the scale of the façade shown may be a significant contributor to this. The timber finish does a lot to soften it.

Iron Matrix prototype house in WA could cost up to 30 per cent less to build than regular houses

Nestled in the heart of Bullsbrook, WA, is the prototype of a revolutionary new housing design dubbed Iron Matrix.

Built from just nine different flat-packed parts that can all fit through a front door, it’s constructed from high grade structural steel, making it one of the sturdiest homes on the market.

It can be clad with solar panels that replace traditional materials at no additional cost. They attach as a wall panel, flush with the rest of the home, and can completely power the home, meaning no more electricity bills.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Mar, 2018
    EN710 and charttv like this.
  2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Would be a real surprise if it lands on the ground at 30% less than comparables. That could happen with volume supply but not for low runs. It's still in prototype ...

3. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Agreed - I think the 30% headline is click-bait. The actual quote in the text is:
    It’s a design perfectly suited to robot manufacturing, which is one of the reasons why they believe Iron Matrix could cost 30 per cent less than the average equivalent home.

Westminster and Tufan Chakir like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

OMG they could at least put a better artist render in the article. An ugly box with a helicopter and wind turbines on top? WTF?

It's an interesting idea and I think we'll be seeing more and more prefab ideas take shape. I quite like the idea about the size of the panels in this being quite manoeuvrable. Having said that even I can move most timber frame panels around so there is already options that don't need cranes etc