Health & Family Iron Infusion

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 30th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just wanted to pay it forward to those who always feel low energy or know that they are anemic because I think this can massively impact their life for the better. My wife has been anemic for many years now and just been living with the low energy trooping along. Her level was 11 from a normal range of i think 50-200. Our GP recommended she do an Iron Infusion which is relatively a new treatment.. I think only a few years old. Long story short after 2 months her energy levels are through the F^^^ing roof. Like night and day. Anyone who knows they are anemic or feels always low in energy should perhaps investigate this treatment to see if its suitable for them. Its cheap, easy, very few if any side effects from my understanding and the results are extremely quick.

From google:
    Iron infusion is a procedure in which iron is delivered to your body intravenously, meaning into a vein through a needle. This method of delivering medication or supplementation is also known as an intravenous (IV) infusion. Iron infusions are usually prescribed by doctors to treat iron deficiency anemia

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment in any manner. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding any medical condition.

Last edited: 30th May, 2017
    EN710, Perthguy and Blacky like this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Through my normal annual medical it was picked up that I had accute anemia (9.9).
    So I had to find the reasons why. It took a while, but eventually discovered that I had some cists (benign) in my intestines.

I had to undergo surgery and they gave me an iron infusion. Highly reccomend it (if needed).
    I also highly reccomend annual medical checkups!

Blacky

Phase2, Perthguy and Sackie like this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I do sometime, but I think I'm just getting old...
    Will the infusion last or does it need to be repeated?

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It can last up to 2 years depending on the individual. From the research we did its common for 1 infusion every 18 months. The process takes about 20 minutes at your GP clinic.

Blacky, Phase2 and EN710 like this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

My understanding is that we should be able to get sufficient iron from our everyday diet. There are a few exceptions mainly with vegans/vegetarians.
    Women are more susceptible to low iron than men.

Generally the body is quite efficient at collecting and storing iron, albeit iron doesn't absorb quickly or easily. So iron supliments are generally iniffient. They go strait through.
    However iron is also toxic to the body. So don't supliments without doctors reccomendation.

I'm not a doctor so don't rely on the above as being factual. Our online medico professionals (calling @Bran) would know more.

Blacky

EN710 and Sackie like this.
  6. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

Definitely recommend finding out the underlying cause for low iron or low ferritin rather than JUST taking iron tabs or getting a infusion. To many docs brush it aside especially if you are female, but it could be something that has other implications such as cysts, coeliac or even cancer.

Not knocking an infusion at all (and thanks Leo for spreading awareness!), but I would hate for someone to live with something sinister that is being covered up by supplementation.

Blacky, EN710 and Sackie like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Bran is a source of iron?

Ed Barton and EN710 like this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Its not Allbran is - but also a great breakfast meal.

:eek: