QLD Ipswich

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by miscg, 29th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

Some friendly advice you are wasting your time with Ipswich, it has little growth. I tried for 6 years and sold at a loss.

2. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Just because you didn't make money doesn't mean other people wont either. There may have been many many factors why that may have been the case, one of them being that you may have overpaid for the place in the first instance.

Also 6 years ago Ipswich and MANY other suburbs across the entire of Australia wasn't a good buy. One of the best skills an investor needs to have is to see the potential of a suburb before it rises or at least at the beginning of the rise so they can ride the wave.

I have already made money in Ipswich within the last 12 months and I just started investing there.

MikeyBallarat and Danmicb like this.
  3. Lawrence Barnes

You can't time the market, how do you know when to enter and when to exit. Skilled investors as you put it don't operate in this way. Skilled investors purchase in blue chip areas that slowly and safely grow in value, they don't speculate. Glad to hear you have made money in Ipswich though and count yourself lucky. Things can change in Ipswich very quickly so enjoy the good times whilst you can.

ndpjai likes this.
  4. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

I would disagree with you 1000% on this. You CAN time it - its due to having the skill set of seeing opportunity cost vs blindly buying in areas and hoping for the best.

You have no idea how much time and effort I spend in researching places where I buy. I wish you the very best in your future investments.

5. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

All the skilled investors I know are making money in Ipswich; the speculators, on the other hand, not doing well.

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2017
  6. Danmicb

Danmicb Well-Known Member

Brisbane going into a growth phase now and over the next few years, and any boom, will be great for those who have picked up the right properties in good old Ipswich town. The right areas and properties have already been picking up nicely as professionals and families move outwards in search of amenity and lifestyle.

7. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I agree to a certain extent. Probably nicer suburbs with good schools, job prospects, shopping etc. probably mid-way between Ipswich and Brisbane should do really well. Say for example each working in different CBD, equidistant 20-30 mins travel.

8. Danmicb

Whatever your strategy is when buying in Ipswich, just make sure you have one (that is going to make you money)...plenty of possible pitfalls and duds for those that are blindly speculating in the area.

9. Lawrence Barnes

Good luck to you spending all that time on researching, personally there are easier ways to make money using tried and tested strategies. I wish you luck.

10. Lawrence Barnes

Ipswich is a difficult area to purchase in, you have to watch for flood and mine areas. Lots of area's suffer with black soil as they call it out there which cause subsidence. I sold 2 properties in Ipswich so I could purchase a much better property 10Km from Brisbane CBD and I have already made 50K in 10 months.

Tom Rivera and ndpjai like this.
  11. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Even I heard that from lot of people 'the soil issue'. That's one of the reason I bought my recent IP in one of the centenary suburb- Jamboree Heights approx. 13Kms from CBD.

12. Lawrence Barnes

Yes it can be a major issue. I spent thousands fixing a patio slab that moved away from the house and left huge cracks, cost me $6,000 to fix the slab and another $3,000 to sort out the plumbing and removing large trees to prevent further issues.

ndpjai likes this.
  13. Danmicb

flood and mine map overlays are easily accessible. black soil same thing, see previous posts. talk to people on ground. marry this all up with your b&p inspector. get further tests if need be. put the puzzle together and you can mitigate all these risks effectively imo.

MikeyBallarat and RetireRich101 like this.
  14. Lawrence Barnes

Yes you can mitigate these risks and for the most part I did at the time. Most people have no idea about the black soil and the risks involved until you start to run in to problems. Soil tests are very expensive so not always viable when you are shopping around.

15. Danmicb

so did your b&p pick up no issues with subsidence at all? and you also had no idea about soil issues in ipswich? suprising. what area/streets of ipswich did you purchase in? i'm just wondering how something as important of an issue like black soil in ipswich (which is talked about in every investment ipswich thread here) was missed? even the agents selling houses talk about it.

i would disagree that most people investing in the area have no idea about reactive soils.

16. Lawrence Barnes

The building inspector did mention that the house had some movement but was not overly concerned as it had been there for 27 years. I asked should I purchase and he advised yes. If the agent did know about it and i'm sure he did he was saying nothing (no surprise there). Anyway important lessons learned and thousands of dollars spent learning that lesson. I fixed up the property in Cooinda street, Eastern Heights and sold it at a loss back in 2016.

17. Danmicb

Sorry to hear, all the best going foward, sounds like you've made some of that money back already.

18. Lawrence Barnes

Thanks. Yes on the mend now. Lost a lot of money and worse still time in Ipswich. Bought one year ago in a Brisbane suburb and regained all the money I lost. I learn't a lot from the experience and I am trying to help others on sites like this to not make the same mistakes I made 6/7 years ago.

19. Danmicb

I think it's good to inform buyers of mistakes you have made, however you shouldn't let your negative experience cause you to write blanket, emotionally charged posts slagging off a whole region. Like others have mentioned, they have made money in the last alone year in Ipswich. The median house price in your suburb of eastern heights alone has gone up 30K in 12 months. Like many others currently investing there, we see quite a lot of upside to particular parts of Ipswich, and for the price-point (major factor) and what you can buy taking into account lifestyle, amenity, and incoming infrastructure, it's serves a completely justifiable part of someones strategy. Great yields and good upside medium term, it's an easy hold. And the increasing house prices and demand for particular stock and areas in Ipswich support that.

20. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Am seeing some good growth for my little property in Eastern Heights. Bought May 16 for $230,000, recent val at $275,000. Almost 20% increase in about 18 months.