IP Phone Line Activation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JJ1081, 28th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JJ1081

JJ1081 Active Member

I have duplex which is been recently constructed and ready for the handover inspection.
    I have been told by my property agent to get phone lines activated so that it is tenant ready. I am not sure as an owner do I have to activate the phone line or it is tenants responsibilities? Has anyone activated the phone line from Telstra recently as an owner? Is it normal practice?

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by "activation".

it is normal practice to have at least one working phone outlet. Not just for the phone, often used for Internet as well.

If you don't, your property will not be as attractive to tenants as the initial connection can be expensive and sometimes difficult, and there can be delays. Most tenants want "ready to go" properties.

But if you don't agree with your PM, check your state legislation to see if it is necessary.
    Marg

3. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the landlord is responsible for the $299 line that Telstra charges to hookup. Once that is connected, it will be the tenants responsibility.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If a pensioner moves in then its less about $150 for activation.

5. JJ1081

JJ1081 Active Member

Marg Activation means - one working outlay.
    Yes I just spoke to Telstra and they charge $299 per property for activation.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Then I would expect it to be an owner responsibility.
    Marg

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

It is not mandatory, it's not like you MUST provide some form of heating.

That said if it was recently constructed then it should already of had the line run. Activation purely means ringing a provider and asking them to connect a service. This is on no way your responsibility because the tenant will want to choose which provider to use.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@albanga - You may not be required to provide a form of heating but you do provide a gpo that the tenant can connect their heater (just ask @fullylucky), you don't provide the phone but the means of connection.

If you have a phone point, then you pay the activation fee (if and when the tenant seeks to get a land line - don't activate unless they require a phone). The PM will reimburse the tenant from the rent paid after the tenant activates the phone service. If they don't use adsl, then they don't need a phone service only the line.

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

As the property owner you will need to pay the $299

10. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It may vary between states whether you need to provide a working phone line.

But the tenants will most likely use it, so it is best to do it at some stage if you want happy tenants.