Investment Savvy Mortgage Brockers

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Skcoddam, 27th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skcoddam

Skcoddam Member

Hi,

I am a looking to buy first home as primary place of residence in Adelaide Southern Suburbs at $400-500k. I have contacted a brocker and he has estimated our borrowing capacity with the lender that he thinks is most appropriate.

I have listened to a lot of The Property Couch Podcast but still don't really understand what a good investment savvy brocker is meant to do beyond this for a first home buyer? Also, how do you locate a good one???

We will look to add properties beyond this one but don’t have a firm plan re:how this looks at the moment.

Thanks,

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What features did your broker suggest? Offset account? Redraw?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A broker's job is to get you finance, recommend lenders, products etc

It is not to provide legal advice on the first home owner grant, stamp duty, tax advice on deductibility of interest, what property to invest in, investment strategies, where to buy etc

none of this would be covered by their insurance and it would be illegal to advise on most of that without proper licensing.

kierank likes this.
  4. Skcoddam

Skcoddam Member

So when people say to find an investment savvy brocker, why does this actually mean??? Is it less relevant for first home buyers?

Thanks,

5. Skcoddam

Skcoddam Member

Nah, didn’t get into that. Wife is casual and will only have 3 months of pay slips and I am medical wanting 10% deposit (medical) so advice was that we didn't have any other options apart from CBA unless we wait 3 months longer.

6. Terry_w

If you want to invest in property you will ideally want a broker who has experience with helping clients get investment loans. Less relevant with a first home buyer - unless you plan to buy more.

7. Trainee

Op suggest you learn how loans work yourself. At least understand what offset and redraw mean and how they are different for tax purposes.

8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

How often is a first home a last home?

Even if they don't plan to buy more, they probably will - a good broker knows this and can help them plan ahead so they can retain flexibility and are structured right in the event they do buy more. And if they don't - no harm done. :)

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think what you might be needing is someone who digs a bit deeper into your longer term plans and goals, then helps to set things up in a way to accommodate those outcomes.

10. Trainee

Would help if you at least have a think about the future. Will you move to another city? Work as a locum in another city or overseas? All of this matters to the features you want in the loan.

11. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Investment Savvy is a buzz word, meaningless - what they actually mean is "find a good broker"

wilso8948 likes this.
  12. Terry_w

like us!

It is a phrase brokers use to try to show they are different to the rest.

Cousinit and Lindsay_W like this.
  13. Niche

Niche Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a clear go to checklist on what makes a broker "investment savvy" I think it comes down the way they talk to you. If they just ask for your income then say "hey you can borrow this much" then that may be a little concerning, however if they ask questions about your priority with the purchase and your future plans with property so that they can suggest lenders based on that and explain their logic along the way, then I think that is at least a good starting point.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Nailed it

Lindsay_W and Terry_w like this.
  15. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I have no idea what it actually means. Its not too specific in its description.

It's a marketing word brokers use to help explain what their niche is. Plenty of good brokers have a focus group of clients they primarily work with (first home buyers, etc).

Investment savvy is a description of someone who is likely to be well versed in working with investors. On PC, investment savvy generally relates to those skilled for resi specific property investors with small-medium sized portfolios. This in general, would encaspsulate the majority of property investors by numbers.

Most 'investment savvy' brokers won't be all that well versed in dealing with plenty of investing segments though:
    - E.g. brokers in general often have limited product knoweldge/access and experience to catering with the very very wealthy (e.g. 8 figure territory).
    - Many have limited experience in working with mid-large scale investors looking for advanced products/finance that goes outside standard residential securities.

In general, institutional finance structures are often here to meet this market - who are also very investment savvy!

Lindsay_W and wilso8948 like this.
  16. Terry_w

What about the old 'finance strategist'. Haven't seen that used for a while

MC1 and kierank like this.
  17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

MY, MY, MY, ...

Someone is digging up the past :D.

craigc likes this.
  18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Really? I don't agree :)
    A good broker might not have a clue about investments - how to structure them, how to maximise borrowing capacity, what additional risk certain lenders pose, which lenders are horrible for first home owners despite their really low rates...

There a million things a good broker won't know that an investment savvy one will. It's a completely different way of thinking.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  19. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Clearly our definitions of what a makes a 'good broker' differ.
    A good broker can do all of those things you mention, I've yet to meet one that can't and if they can't they are far from good in my opinion.
    They don't need to have a BS tagline of 'investment savvy' it's a meaningless buzzword used by people trying to funnel gullible people into using their referral partner brokers IME

Last edited: 30th Jan, 2020
  20. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Spot on, if a broker doesn't know how to structure investments or increase servicing capacity they wouldn't be a broker for long.
    A lot of brokers try to differentiate themselves with the BS tag lines, but any competent broker can take care of this stuff. It's not rocket science

Lindsay_W likes this.