Investment Advice (Melb vs Bris)

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by mytwocents, 19th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina Well-Known Member

High skills jobs are opened up to anyone and any place.

Brisbane is not the choice of any major company.

there are 4 million kids in school as of 2021. Parents won't leave the good schools and go to Darwin, because bricks are cheaper. Neither college/university going kids or their families.

from 2010 - 2020 Brisbane went back wards if inflation is taken into account. It is catching up to inflation.

There is internal migration of 45 - 60 years old. with no commitments.

What is the wage growth in Brisbane in the last 2 years? Wouldnt be much.

Rambo likes this.
  2. Hari Yellina

Most ASX 200 companies headquarters are based in Sydney and Melbourne. and not in Brisbane.

One day we might see a couple opening up in Brisbane. covid didn't help any company moving into Brisbane or Darwin.

3. Jules

Jules Active Member

My two cents with this. If you are referring to working at ASX company head quarters then sure. But I can tell you from experience working in one of the big ASX listed companies myself, they offer flexible working from ANY of their head offices (Syd, Melb, Bris). A top executive can do their work from any of those capital cities and interstate travel when needed. This type of flexible working was already established before covid hit, and in part this was to provide flexibility and become employer of choice, but also to reduce their own capital expenditure (no point securing a desk for everyone in Barangaroo right!?).

In addition, outside of ASX listed companies there are other professions that employ high net worth individuals, such a medicine.

Don’t underestimate the talent pool that is already residing or will reside in Brisbane in the near future.

skater likes this.
  4. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

No choice Melbourne beats Brisbane any day of the week

Brisbane is still a country town

Melbourne will supersede Sydney in population and cap growth within decade or so.

so: Land (house not unit) in Melbourne.

Bonus note from a history teacher: Melbourne used to have most ASX companies in the 60s …now it’s Sydney…Sydney makes the obvious regional base — its global outlook and spectacular coast makes it more desirable than Melbourne or Brisbane. Over 80% of Australia’s top schools are in Sydney.

but Melbourne is going to see the tide change in her favour within our lifetime.

5. Hari Yellina

There are only 9 million households in Australia.

• there were 4,006,974 students enrolled in 9,542 schools.
    Schools, 2020.

Would you think most of them will pack up and go to Brisbane and continue Zoom studies and Zoom sports?

Map 1 - Student enrolment counts by state and territory and school affiliation, 2020.gif

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You are mostly correct...but you will find the incomes in places like Belmont.. Mount Duneed...Grovedale is very high now...as upper middle class families have moved in there.

Incomes in Hoppers/Werribee whilst improving are not as high but they are moving in the right direction.

beesy7 likes this.
  7. Hari Yellina

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You aren't talking sense...it is based on cycles...you will find over the next 2 years....Brisbane will go very close to Melbourne prices...within 80% I reckon.

But you are correct over the longer term ....Melbourne will do very well!

9. Hari Yellina

at one point hoppers crossing had the same median price as Richmond or hawthorn.

If it's cycles or squares or Triangles why are hoppers crossing hitting its cycles for the last 45 years?

at one point Darwin and Perth were expensive than Melbourne.

same as Hoppers and Richmond difference. it won't happen again.

10. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Given Bris and Per are so hot and every 2nd post is about missing out, or getting sold on high price... I am really questioning the Value for Money as one prop and 10 ppl going for it....result in orice baloon..good for sellers!

If one is paying 8-900K now , will that prop be 1.5/6m in 10 years?...

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

@Hari Yellina
    I dont necessarily disagree with your bearish views on brisbane, but understand that these reasons some of which you have mentioned are the exact reasons why brisbane is cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne.

12. Hari Yellina

13. Hari Yellina

In the last 10 years, the worlds top employers and companies are technology-based.

Google
    Facebook
    uber
    iPhone
    iPad
    whats app
    tik tok
    bit coin
    dodge coin
    messenger
    AWS
    Azure
    Netflix
    Prime Video
    Disney

etc...

that is what happened with the world and the prices of the cities embracing technology.

14. Hari Yellina

look at the fresh produce exports 52% from Victoria.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 6.52.40 pm.png

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Agreed. And this is what o believe the game changer with covid. Precovid, those not at the executive level likely have to be physically located where the office was (and for most asx HQ, that was Sydney/mel). Covid has changed that, maybe not very significantly, but it certainly has changed that. Now, asx companies will take talent where can find it irrespective of where the employee is located.
    It goes without saying, you will have to be the best of the best to do this though (at whichever level you are at, but will need to be the top gun), and this is the cohort who will win post covid- the best of the best will have opportunities that were previously not readily available solely based on their physical location.
    This is already happening even in brisbanr, Sydney, Melbourne..not just Silicon Valley, nyc etc..it will gain more traction post covid. Therefore, the top class employees (whichever level they are at) in brisbane will have access to Sydney and Mel company jobs , and vice versa works as well.
    Ita going to be more strongly based on skills and talent in the future rather than physical location.

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2021
    Jules likes this.
  16. Hari Yellina

Once the technology companies go public. they will take over sharemarket.

there will be no circles and squares.

Quality investment-grade stocks vs rest.

Same trend with cities embracing technology jobs

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I am an ex tech exec....a lot more to tech...things can change quickly...don't expect everything to stay the same.

I would be very glad if ever remote working took over...but I am seeing evidence that remote employees will be paid less...possibly as much as 30% less...evidence is in Google Microsoft...Dell paying less.

I bought in seaside locations in Geelong...Phillip island. Stuff bought for 350-400k are now 800k....another one bought in Dec last year....620k...on completion over 1.2m. Ridiculous...enjoy it whilst the good times roll...there will be a day of reckoning at some point.

I have a few in Perth also...I expect the median to go from 600k today to 900-950k within 3 years.....within cooee of Melbournes median. Dems how things work...gunga din...