Investing in other peoples big projects

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by Daza, 3rd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Daza

Daza Member

Hey guys,

I had an idea but i have no idea were to start looking. Is there anywhere you can invest your money in other peoples big commercial developments?

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

DYOR but there are many options
    Syndicates like Peet or Open Corp
    Funds like Charter Hall
    Crowd Funding like Estate Baron

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Shares.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. 158

158 Well-Known Member

5. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

The real estate ETF are exactly that. And they better than private investing for their openness and regulations

6. Daza

Daza Member

Wow thanks for all the quick replies. I guess the reason I'm asking about this is due to me building a house to live in I have been unable too find enough equity to buy another IP I have one but even that property has not really gainned any value in the last 4 or 5 years I have had it. I think I should cut my losses with that one and buy something in a better suburb.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the guy on shark tank trying to get that" group lending funding investing thingo" happening with small development projects.
    They ate him alive but interesting idea.

8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Yes they torched him, the funny thing was there are several others already at market with this type of product and pay the same returns.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is there? I didn't know.

They got him with the finance legalities which he was not prepared for but i thought there was potential... but unfortunately their script must have said to take him down

10. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I thought they were a little unfair. Like most products when they start out it was for wholesale investors only, and latter would be licensed for retail users.

Estate Baron basically does the same thing. There are others not sure of their names.

bob shovel likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hello, thank you for calling. Please press 1 to go to the main menu (this one), or press 7 to play these options again ............................... :D

@Daza

I believe pinkboy is alluding to my posts in
    What can u buy for 1 million in commercial and for what returns or secure income

Since writing that post, I have gone quite heavily into the listed ones too (as there has been opportunities where the yield has been good on some REIT's with a decent portfolio), but if you are into new developments, then they are likely unlisted.

Just out of interest, how "big" a project are you looking to put money into?

The Y-man

Plutus and 158 like this.
  12. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Which are your preferred listed funds?

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Any with a portfolio I'd like to have a share in AND gives me a decent yield :D

I know the above sounds stupid (and probably is), but I look at the properties in the funds portfolio and consider if they are the sort of buildings I would buy if I had the money.

So it would be pretty basic - government or big listed company tenants, staggered lease expiry, something with land value under it, buildings modified/designed for specific tenants etc.

I also buy into shopping centres I hate going to because they are always crowded and I can't get parking no matter what part of the day I go.

The yield is important though - I went in heavily earlier in the year because some of the really big funds (Dexus, Vicinity, etc) were yielding over 6% (assuming stable distribution). The prices have really shot back up now, so good listed ones with higher yield are a bit harder to find (even during the Brexit panic)

I think I posted elsewhere that I often do the reverse to many - I see a building and say "Hey, I wouldn't mind owning this" and then going about finding if it is available in a listed or unlisted REIT

The Y-man

Plutus likes this.
  14. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Yeah obviously you don't know exactly how they edit it but he was like a deer in the headlights with some basic questions about the finance of it all.

Cactus and bob shovel like this.
  15. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Trilogy funds have a new unlisted fund with only 20k minimum and over 7% yield.

But I'm not too confident about the tenant as it's a Pty Ltd.

16. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

DomaCom is offering crowd funding for Kidman Station :D
    Not sure if crowd funding is a good thing or not for property dont know the details. Did look at Open Corp who had some quite good developments underway or there are plenty of jv's with smaller groups.

17. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Just got an email from Hot Copper, DomaCom has just com out with an IPO for their fractional investing model.