Introductions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Maryanne, 13th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Maryanne

Maryanne Member

We are both retired and living on a pension. We don't have the funds for the development.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Understood. So you bring to the table the land. A developer brings to the table money to knock down your house and build three houses. You get one of these houses. Is that all you are going to get i.e. no additional cash?
    How much could you sell the property for now?

3. Maryanne

Maryanne Member

We don't have any contracts yet. But our understanding is that our costs to the developer would be for the build of our home, after the sale of the 2 town houses. The developers cost to us would be for 50% of the balance of the 2 lots of land that the 2 townhouses will be built on. All costs and profits associated with the build of the 2 townhouses would be divided 50%.

4. Depreciator

Maryanne, I reckon we need to talk in terms of dollars and not percentages.

- If you sold you home now what would you get for it?
    - What would your new home on a smaller block be worth in two years when the development is done?
    - How much will you pay in rent for those two years?
    - How much money will you end up with when the other two dwellings are sold?

Of course, they are all going to be estimates, but if I was contemplating this sort of speculative project I would be thinking in dollars.

Maryanne, wylie and The Y-man like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Maryanne

There has been several posts now asking for price estimates on your house but I note you have not responded to these. If you are not sure, then you can get an estimate from a broker (free), or if you are not able to share the suburb (understandable for privacy concerns) you could private message one of the brokers on this site or even myself.

There is a lot at stake here.

I again emphasise what others have said above, and these are just skimming the surface of the contract conditions that will need to be covered:
    - who owns the land when the project is started?
    - what happens if the builder stops after you home is demolished and disappears (it happens) or they take 10 years to build it?

You say you do not have funding to do a reno of your existing home - but remember that a review of a contract like this by a lawyer does not come cheap (can be in the thousands). You then need contingency money to take legal action if the developers do a shifty.

The Y-man

wylie likes this.
  6. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

My primary concern would be what would happen if the developer went bust. There's a few tracts of land in Hobart for sale with previous approval for units now on the market. A former school site was to be developed, now the bank are selling it. It that happens, what then?

7. Maryanne

Maryanne Member

We're not in a position to borrow funds, as we are living on an aged pension.
    We have now decided to sell and move to a new area. As the whole process of a joint venture is not as smooth as we anticipated. We would like to thank everybody for their valuable feedback.

hobartchic likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think you will find that decision will save a lot of stress and potential heartaches. Wishing you a great new home.

The Y-man

hobartchic likes this.
  9. Depreciator

Yep, good decision Maryanne. If you had gone ahead you would have had many sleepless nights and it all could have gone pear shaped in the end.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.