Introduction for newbies

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by spludgey, 30th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I just sent an email to someone that's interested in property investing.
    It gave me the idea that perhaps it might be worthwhile to have a 'sticky' in the Introduction forum with some advice, as I know it can be scary to start as a new investor.
    Any opinions on that?
    Feel free to reject it, but I thought it was worth at least raising it.

I'm not saying that what I wrote is necessarily what it should be, but something very roughly along similar lines might be of use.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes, I think a general investing FAQ with references to books, websites, blogs, etc would be a useful addition along with some fundamental ideas around investing. Something I've been thinking about adding with the new site.

An index to the most useful threads on the site would be good too - particularly those such as @Terry_w's and @David Shih (just for example - there are others too).

(By the way @spludgey - the term you wanted to use was "contentment" not "contemptment" - the latter implies a lack of respect for something, eg: "I have contempt for your opinion" - hence being held in "contempt of court" - ie disrespecting the court or the court process ... but I still got what you were trying to say, so it's not a big deal)

thatbum and spludgey like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Oops, you're absolutely right on the spelling part!

4. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I agree this would be so invaluable to all members - an index that allows you to quickly access information in relevant areas.

Right now there are plenty of gold nuggets around each PC sub-forum, but the problem for me has always been there are simply way too much data/posts so it's extremely difficult to access the relevant info I'm after. Search does help to an extent but this is where keyword guessing comes into play and it's really a hit and miss, not to mention you kinda have to troll through each of the search results and sometimes I get to page 2 or 3 before I find something that may be relevant. Of course part of that could be due to my keyword.

@Simon Hampel not sure if this information helps - but I know in Taiwan we have something we called BBS (Bulletin Board System). Very similar to what we have here at PC except in a very outdated user interface (think DOS style and everything to be controlled via keyboard not mouse...anyway that's an aside). In BBS there are sub-forums related to different type of topics, and each sub-forum would have a separate FAQ or "Essence" section where the person responsible for the sub-forum would, as they review each post, mark the post to be put into FAQ area and then compile together at top level an index for easy access of the post/info.

Not saying that should be the way to go, but thought that may help.

Cheers,
    David