Interstate Bathroom renovation and new laundering

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PropertyInsight, 3rd Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

Bathroom and laundering in an interstate IP are too outdated. The IP is vacant now. I flight up to Brisbane to get quotes from tradies for renovation. I do not want tradies provide shower screen, shower base, shower-head, vanity as I want to hand pick them by myself to guarantee quality.

What my plan:

1) While I am in Melbourne next week, I order shower screen, shower base, showerhead, vanity and taps online or over phone. Request courier leave them in a rear garage (unlocked)

2). Make appointments with tradies on next Saturday to show them what I want from them. Show them around. Question about how they handle the jobs, their availability, time to complete.

3) Wait for quotes in 3-4 days

4) Start the jobs, ask tradies pick house keys from my property manager, and ask my property manager to check the jobs when they are done.

All the comments and feedback about my plan are welcome.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How do you know you will be ordering the correct materials if you order in advance?

Also, having a courier deliver to an empty house/garage is risky.

Also, be aware that once the strip out is done it might be apparent that there are some issues with the bathroom that require fixing (rotten studs etc).

If you want to do the supply, I tend to think it’s best to get the quotes. Select the materials. Then check with the tradie that what you intend to order will work with the bathroom before ordering.

If you make a mistake with measurements of any of the parts, you will need to sort it out...

Last edited: 3rd Mar, 2019
    Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. PropertyInsight

I did renovation in Melbourne. I bought all materials and coordinated plumber, tiler, shower screen installer in the last two bathroom renovations.

Agreed that it is risky to let stuffs are delivered to empty house.

How about either give to tradies which store I want to but materials or give tradies give material specifications.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Better hope your PM is willing (and capable) so semi project manage. Buying things and getting quotes is 1 thing . Then installing them is when reality hits and quick decisions will be needed as issues (always) arise.

5. PropertyInsight

I will flight to brisbane, measure every things and meet tradies next Saturday. Tell tradies that I will supply materials. How does it sound? -

I will stay in Brisbane until Monday. Order everything from Bunning over the weekend to ensure all of them delivery by Monday.

6. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Having done this several times I would strongly recommend getting a Proj Mgr or alternatively finding an all in one shop that supplies one...so much easier and only one throat to choke ;-) I've found it not too much different in price...orchestrating trades yourself from a distance= major trouble!!!. Also most Prop Mgrs won't get involved if things go pear shaped....leaving you to do most of it anyway!

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Good Luck. Hope the shower base and screen fit! Hope you didn't just order a 900x900 base and 900x900 screen, because by the time you check the base into the wall and tile, the screen return panel wont even fit. Also not sure if your aware but almost all couriers wont carry glass

wylie likes this.
  8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Just specify brands and items that you want and make sure its in the contract.

9. PropertyInsight

Instead of bathroom renovation, I decide to lift it up for quick renting out by doing the follows:

- Resurface thee shower screen base (no bath in the bathroom) and vanity sink
    - Retiling the floor and re-grouting the wall tiles.

Budget:

Resurfacing: <$800
    Retiling and regrouting: < $1200

Total < $2000

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You have to get the old tiles removed before you retile, right?

$330 minimum charge, book ahead. That price was with us taking them to the tip ourselves. They will also charge you the disposal fee.

How is the plumbing?

11. PropertyInsight

No plumbing because we just re-surface the shower base and vanity.