internal cracks

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Pal, 16th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pal

Pal Member

Hi,

My house is just a year and a half old but is developing some internal cracks. There are no cracks in the external brick wall (brick veneer) except ply over one of the window is coming off. Appreciate suggestions on what could be causing these issues and possible solutions to not just fill the cracks but not have further cracking. There is also some nails coming off from the ceiling that I can see from a room, not attaching snaps due limit of 10 files.

The builder has agreed to send tradies to fix these issues, how can I ensure a quality work from the tradies.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the knowledge and experience sharing on this form.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Some cracking caused by settlement is normal and to be expected- though I'm erring towards that being excessive on a house that's only 18 months old.

You may not have expansion joints in the ceiling where they should be? There isn't really much else that can be done about that.

All they can really do is plaster and paint to repair the cracks, so good quality work should be obvious- it should be all but imperceptible where the crack was made.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That's pretty normal.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

They are settlement cracks. The solution is what the builder has offered. You cannot stop this into the future, unless you can stop the soil from expanding and contracting as weather rains and goes through drought cycles. It just comes with the territory.

You cannot ensure quality work - that's the business of the builder. He'll ensure quality work if he does not want to keep sending tradies to fix during the warranty period.

4. Pal

Pal Member

Hi All, Thanks for your time and advice. The builder did send tradies to fix the cracks and gaps coming in the cornices. It has been about a month since the filling and painting and doesn't seem to re-crack. Thanks again.

Tom Rivera likes this.