Interest on an unoccupied house

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Vol, 16th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vol

Vol Member

We bought a house as an IP which was in a run-down condition. It took us 4 months to re-paint, renovate bathrooms, replace kitchen etc. Then we leased it out with the agent. Is the 4 months interest on our loan tax deductible ? The whole loan is only for this property. Thanks.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It could be. Steele's case

3. Vol

Vol Member

Could you elaborate on this, please ? What is the Steele's case ? We planned to lease it out from the beginning and didn't stay in the house.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

This indicates the merits of tax advice.

The merits of a QS report could also be a tax benefit

6. Vol

Vol Member

Thanks. I see my tax agent next week but I prefer to have a clear idea of all taxes/refunds.
    I have another question. Is the land tax payable on the 4 months period in 2017-2018 when the property was vacant during renovation ? I read that from 1 July 2018 it is payable on vacant properties in ACT.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Maybe.

In the ACT a property intended to rent may be able to claim the stamp duty on acquisition unlike other states where its a CGT cost. I dont understand the meaning of "from July 18 its payable on vacant...."

8. Vol

Vol Member

I quoted Land tax
    ``Beginning on 1 July 2018, ACT residential properties that are not your principal place of residence, or otherwise exempt, are liable for land tax. Your principal place of residence is your main home. Both vacant and rented properties are liable for land tax.''

I am aware that stamp duty is tax deductible in ACT. I assumed that before 1 July 2018 vacant properties were not liable for land tax.