Interest deductions on dual occupancy

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Mecheng83, 21st Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mecheng83

Mecheng83 New Member

Hi all!

I have a tax question regarding a dual occupancy (already subdivided) where both titles are combined under one (interest only) loan of 605k. One of the units is my PPOR and the other I have rented out for the whole year and have attracted approximately 13.5k of interest on the loan.

Throughout the 18-19 financial year, I have had 370K of savings offsetting against the 605k loan (over 50%). Given that I intended for the 370k in savings to offset against my PPOR, I am wanting to know if I will have any trouble claiming the full interest on my loan. The 2 units are identical in size and value & am worried that the ATO may want to see it split 50% (and therefore only half the interest deductible).

My mortgage broker did not suggest to apply for a new loan for each title following the subdivision, however in hindsight, this may have been the best approach to take.

For the sake of a $2000 difference in my tax deduction if I claim the full amount, I would appreciate any knowledge shared!

Kind regards,
    Spiro

2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

The full amount of interest cannot be claimed

You will need to apportion it based on a reasonable amount. If both properties are similar in build and on similar size blocks. Then a have 50% apportionment may be reasonable.

This look like an easy one to fix moving forward.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Going forward, split the loan into the relevant portions and then move the offset to the non-deductible portion.

Can't really blame the broker for not understanding the tax aspects to loan structuring.

4. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

As brokers arent licensed to provide tax advise they didnt do anything wrong.

Terry_w likes this.