Interest deductibility

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paddi, 27th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paddi

Paddi Member

I am looking to redraw on my home loan to purchase shares. This would result in interest being deductible for tax as it is used to generate dividend income. Can I use an existing brokerage account (with shareholdings) to purchase the shares or would I need to set up a new brokerage account to keep my investments separate?

I think the key to deductibility is the use of the funds, so if I can show the funds leaving my loan account, transferred to my brokerage account then used to buy shares, this should be ok?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends. Are ALL the share likely to pay dividends ? If they arent then that portion is non-deductible. Its very easy to create a blended loan mess with shares and then be unable to determine how much is truly deductible. Two years later ATO are confused as you and just deny the claim.

The existing brokerage account will possibly be OK. Just ensure ALL the borrowed $$ is used. If the broker trading account doesnt pay interest you could end up with a blended loan if the funds arent fully invested.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

4. Paddi

Paddi Member

Thanks for the responses. All the shares in planning to buy will pay a dividend. My concern was whether having existing shares in my account and then buying more shares using redraw monies was considered mixing of funds.

The cash balance of the brokerage account is 0 and any money I transfer in from the redraw will be used to buy the shares.

What happens if I sell some of the shares in the future? Both my existing and new shares?

5. Terry_w

Interest will no longer be deductible on any loans you have used to acquire those shares.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tip - When selling shares repay the loan using the following rule.

Repay the loan on the day sales settle for the LESSER of the proceeds on sale or cost of the shares

eg You buy shares for $8k. You sell them for $3K. Only repay $3K.sold.
    eg2 You buy shares for $8K. You sell them for $9K. Repay only $8K when sold.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Paddi

Paddi Member

What happens if I pay off the loan using cash, then sell the shares in the future and put funds in an offset account. If I do a redraw again to buy another parcel of shares down the track, would this be deductible again?

8. Terry_w

Redraw from the loan is new borrowings, redraw from offset is not