Insurance - what kind of house is this?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jimmeh, 3rd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

Bit inexperienced with houses and I'm doing some insurance quotes for the suburb.

What kind of house would this be called? What kind of material is the wall? Houses are in QLD.

I've got a couple pics that have exterior walls that look similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

First photo - main boards look like chamferboards, timber. Front closed in verandah looks like it could be some sort of sheeting, might be asbestos.

Second photo, side looks like chamferboard, timber. Front under the sliders looks like asbestos sheeting and I'd say the wall above the sliders would be asbestos too.

On both houses, you'll probably have fibro (asbestos) eaves.

Obviously first photo has besser block base and second green painted brick base.

Roof on first photo is hard to tell, but you can see it is either tin, modern colorbond or could be asbestos. If you look down from google earth you could pick it better.

Cannot see the roof on the second photo but that style and age of house would be similar to the first one.

For insurance purposes, I'd call those walls "timber". It is only the "fancy bits" that aren't timber.

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Asbestos fibrous cement cladding. First is a log cabin profile, other is a standard hardie profile

Jimmeh likes this.
  4. wylie

An insurer wants to know the main body though, and both houses in these photos mainly are timber. What were verandahs have been closed in with what looks like asbestos sheeting.

If I had to fill in "what are the walls made of?" for an insurer I'd answer "chamfer" or "timber" and maybe add that a verandah has been enclosed with asbestos?

Jimmeh likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Have seen plenty of log cabin asbestos fc cladding (own one myself) that looks like timber. Need site inspection to confirm. Heres a pic of mine, its fibro

Photo 24-07-2016 4 31 32 pm.jpg

Jimmeh likes this.
  6. wylie

Fair enough. I'd put my right one on the main body of both those houses in the photos being chamberboard, but even increasing the photo size, it isn't too clear.

It could be cladding like your photo. But that sort of cladding isn't too common in Brisbane on the main body of a house. The photos look like chamfers to me.

To the OP, it sounds like you've picked photos from the net and these aren't the actual houses? Do you have photos of the actual house/s? If you can get better pics, it will be much easier.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Your right what :p

wylie likes this.
  8. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Agree with @wylie, Chamferboard.