Insurance replacement vanity

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Propin, 21st Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I just had this vanity replaced by insurance claim. They had under measured the vanity so put in a replacement piece in the corner after a long phone call. The other end of the vanity doesn’t cover the tile gaps and chips. I’m not happy with it but hubby is saying that mistakes happen and they did a good job. I think it’s going to keep annoying me if I just accept it, I don’t think I’m being overly fussy. Thoughts?? 65758FCF-CDBE-4EDE-B8A3-B1BBED86095A.jpeg 803A74F8-DB55-456A-8E93-30CE05AA2712.jpeg F69D6801-1F81-4EEC-8F7B-1A13A56D7948.jpeg D0729102-713B-4324-BC13-BC46E478D409.jpeg

2. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

Hei Propin :)

I hear you. What do you think will affect your sanity more? The constant fight now or seeing the chips?

Things like that annoy me but I tend not to see them so much after time. Would a bit more silicone/ tile paint help? Maybe get insurance to add the cost of this to their payout? xx

Propin likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What is the last photo showing? Maybe a photo of the whole vanity would be good. It is hard to gauge how something looks from snippets that don't show the whole.

Propin and Propertunity like this.
  4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks, it’s probably the chips in tile the most and gaps that annoys me but as a whole it probably looks ok. Tiler hasn’t been yet, I think they’ve forgotten about me as it’s been a few weeks but maybe the tiler can do something where they made the vanity top too short. My house lighting is shocking for photos!! 8459D059-ED1E-41AA-9BBA-098B31167F34.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2020
  5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be happy with that. Is the bottom kick board meant to be a different colour? The tile chips would probably draw my eye, just like the floor in front of our dishwasher has zig zag indentations where some dopey repairman moved it side to side as he pulled it forward.

I look at those zig zags every time I use the dishwasher, but figure that life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I'd probably put a little bit of off white (match it if you can) paint on the chips, maybe a little something to fill them first, but wouldn't do more than that... and I'd probably not even do that either.

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks. The tiler will be tiling kickboard with Creme tiles and grout same colour as vanity. I need to chase them up before the chipboard swells. maybe he can patch the chips. I’ll just have to stick a plant there if I can still see it, lol! Yeah, floorboards..I just had a dodgy fridge picked up from extended warranty. One of those months were everything goes in the same week!!! They sent one guy to pick it up and I had to help him, small chips in walls and a few big scratches on floorboards but like you say, life’s too short to worry too much.

9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Good news. Tiler came. He said he couldn’t see either where they applied silicon to the tiles from bench top. It was very wiped out and thin, gappy. He applied silicon, looks good. He tried applying extra grout to chipped tile but we both agreed, looked crap. Replaced the tile- as good as new!

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

No more broken tile! 75AB311A-3456-4884-A942-B05E159D7B19.jpeg

wylie likes this.