Insurance not covering invasive work or repair of invasive work

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Propin, 12th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

We've had to repair a leaking pipe under the bath. Insurance company is not covering the removal of bricks and tiles to access the leak or repair of the access area. Tradespeople and myself have been surprised these aren't covered by insurance. We also have to pay for the repair of leak. They are covering the water damage to the plaster wall. Does anyone know of insurance companies that provide better cover in WA and Qld?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Insurance cover only insures damage caused by a insured event. A insured event must cause the damage to the pipe or allow the water entry that damages the plaster etc - eg hail breaks pipe or roof tiles causing leak. Otherwise its YOUR maintenance cost to fix the source and they just fix what the water then damages.

Common one is water damage through roof to ceiling. Unless its hail or a tree branch impact they will make you pay for the roof and they will then fix the interior. And usually they wont commence repairs unless you engage a roof tiler. ie you cant fix the roof yourself sometimes. I'm just going through this now and was lucky it was due to hail so they will also fix the tiles that State Emergency Services temporarily fixed.

Mine was complex - hail broke the tiles and water leaked onto the AC unit. AC was covered in dust and that seemed to wash into tray. Tray drain blocked and water continued to fill it. Overflow onto ceiling. The agreed to do all except the AC drain. They said it was a maintenance issue as I hadnt had drain cleared within two years. I could have argued it but "they have rules" such as the two year one for the AC drain. My cost was $220. No problem.

willair likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul, makes more sense now. Will be out of pocket around $2000 plus excess and a bit of labor. Ouch!

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Perhaps factor in if the issue is a deductible repair. Know the rules and isolate it from a capital expense and it may lighten the $2k if there is a tax benefit

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be, grateful it's close to EOFY.

craigc likes this.