Installation of Second Toilet

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Marian, 31st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marian

Marian New Member

Hi
    I have an old 60's /70's weatherboard split level house. It's around 2100 high down stairs and the laundry is nearly directly under the upstairs toilet.

My daughter is moving back home and I would love to get a second toilet and or shower. I was wondering if I could get a toilet installed in the laundry and hook into the same plumbing / sewerage without it being to expensive.

Any suggestions or alternatives and cost estimates would be appreciated. Also if you know an honest reliable plumber anywhere in Wynnum or local area we are near the gateway so eagle farm area etc as well.

Thanks
    Marian

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Depends where your the pipes are but definitely sounds pooable ;)

It might run on the exterior wall and just needs to tee into it. Still a lot of other variables though

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will send you a private message with a plumber we've known for many years who will look after you. No plumber is cheap, but he can give you a quote.

Marian likes this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The two golden rules of plumbers are : waste flows downhill and everyday is payday.

If the second toilet is sitting 2 metres below the pipes you may need a macerator to pump the wastes out. Might cost 1K but it may be cheaper than the alternatives.

Marian and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2100 is a bit low for it being legal,but it you can line up the waste pipes with the location of where you intend to install the new toilet-shower then the cost factor will come right down,plus add on your council signoff costs..

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a non-habitable room - minimum ceiling height of 2100mm is ok.

Joynz likes this.
  7. Marian

Marian New Member

Thanks heaps

When you say 2 meters below do you mean there has to be less than 2 m difference between the top and bottom toilet?

I wish I could google a diagram to understand this stuff :)

8. Marian

Marian New Member

Thanks I sent a message this morning

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. It's the location of the sewer pipes that's of importance (amongst other things).

I just had a reread of your opening post. So the 2nd toilet and shower are going in the laundry.

The sewer flow shouldn't be an issue.

A plumber will have to examine the job to see how much work is involved, digging, new pipes etc.

10. markson

markson Well-Known Member

I plan on doing the same with this IP. as you can see in the photo the sewer pipe comes straight out and drops straight down. Simply punch a hole out through the bottom level and connect the pipes up. image.png

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.