NSW Inspection with PM on Saturday

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by qak, 26th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

As an owner, we like to see our properties with the PM every year. We have two with the one agent, in neighboring suburbs. We don't work near there anymore.

Is it reasonable (or not) to request an inspection on a Saturday?

The PM has told us he's not available the next few weeks (it hasn't been him the last few years anyway, he's usually sent a more junior person).

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

PMs are usually the busiest on a Saturday with opens, hence it not being convenient.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Does their PM department work on a Saturday?
    I know sales departments do - it is their busiest day with Opens and auctions.

4. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

You're the boss... ask for what works for you....and if in all honest, they just can't find half hour in one of the upcoming Saturdays, then you should have a real good look at what they are actually doing for you...

Shazi and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Yes the PMs do, and yes they have open houses (rentals) so I'm just looking to see if I can easily see a start/finish time for those (I can't ... but they are generally mornings anyway).

I do understand they are busy/overworked - I've given them times for the next 3 Saturdays (basically afternoons) so will see how we go. As per @ChrisDim - yes, it's half an hour once a year; and yes I think we've been asking ourselves those questions for the last 3 years, so quite possibly it is the trigger to moving on - I did a lot of research last year so have already shopped around on agents!

ChrisDim likes this.
  6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Yes it is reasonable it is a 6 day a week (and sometimes 7 days a week!) business. Particularly if you are only asking once a year. The reality is unless the PM is the owner of the agency (or at the very least the owner is heavily involved day to day and knows you are asking) the PM is not going to want to do it and will resist. Many agencies have dedicated leasing teams that work Saturday and the PMs work Mon - Fri. If you aren't getting anywhere just give plenty of notice and copy the principal/owner or head of department on the request. If it is not organised very quickly after that then I think you have your answer as to whether to switch agencies or not.

- Luke

7. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I don't see an issue with doing that from time to time, Saturday is crazy busy - but so long as there's plenty of notice there shouldn't really be an issue.

I would just book it for first thing, most tenants don't like looking at a rental at 8:30/9am on a Saturday, so might as well spend the first little while doing other things and pushing back the inspections a little.

Tom Rivera and qak like this.
  8. 738

738 Well-Known Member

If it’s only once a year why don’t you also make an effort to look during the week?

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Good point! We are paying them though, and they should be doing more inspections (they have only done it at our prompting).

I thought it would inconvenience the tenants less though - past ones have usually had someone home when the inspection is on. So if it's us and 2 tenant/s taking time off work, that's 3 or 4 people going out of their way compared to 1 PM doing what they are paid to do?

10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

What do the tenant's say.
    Are they happy with a weekend inspection.

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Property Management is generally a 5 day a week job, there's a very high concentration of mothers with kids who value their family time. Some agencies run a rotating roster for Saturday inspections, run a dedicated leasing manager or don't do Saturday viewings at all. Some agencies (e.g. anyone here on PC) are more flexible and could easily accommodate a Saturday, but I don't think that it's a fair expectation across the industry.

Bradley Peet likes this.