Inspecting my property

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 9th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Something that has been on my mind the last few months is the inspection on my IP

The tenants have a 6 month lease and i remember the property manager saying they will inspect it about a week before they move out.

I did sign off on this on the contract.

But now for some reason i really want to inspect the property because i dont want to leave it to late .
    Before I ring the propery manager lady ( this is the same one who refused to give me the tenants number last time i was arranging repairs) ... So before I ring her i would like to know my authority to inspect my property .
    Its been nearly 3 months now the tenant has been in there .

Theres no evidence or anything like that she (single working mother with 2 kids) could be damaging the property or anything like that BUT i just want to be on the safe side.

What are my rights in NSW ? Can i arrange to inspect it myself or should i ask the PM who would probaly charge me a fee .
    Remember in the contract i signed it said inspection a week before the tenant leaving.

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Relax - let them do their job.

legallyblonde, JenW and JacM like this.
  3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @darlinghurstsboy

In NSW it is permissable to inspect up to 4 times per year, which would thus be done every 3 months. Factsheet 08: Access and privacy - Tenants NSW

As to how often your property manager does routine inspection as per your written agreement with them depends on the content of that written agreement. They may or may not charge for it, you'd need to refer to your agreement.

If at time of inspection the place is really dirty or there is some damage, the property manager will issue the tenant with the relevant breach notices and instruct the tenant to rectify the issue within a given timeframe. The property manager would then re-inspect after that timeframe. If the tenant has not rectified the issue there is the option to issue more breach notices and go down the eviction path. Or the tenant rectifies the issue and everyone carries on as normal.

If the tenant is vacating, there will be an inspection by the property manager after she exists and it will be compared to the condition report made just before she moved in. She'll be required to clean to a certain standard, and if applicable, repair any damages. If she doesn't the property manager will take money out of her bond for this.

You are generally welcome to attend routine inspections with the property manager. As to whether you "should" depends on your level of trust for the property manager, or whether you are a person that gets yourself too worried unnecessarily about things and will only cause yourself stress by attending.

5. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I put this in the wrong section didnt i?
    Should of been in the property management section...oh well