VIC Inner west on $400k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by oasis, 30th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oasis

oasis Member

Hi all

I've a budget of approximately $400k (will have 20% deposit) and am looking to buy my first PPOR in Melbourne.

I have an idea of what I am after...

** One bedroom villa (Basically, I'm after a place that sits "on the ground" - two bedrooms would be a plus though I'm realistic about what I can achieve given my budget)

** Within 15 mins walking distance of train station (I don't have a car at the moment and if possible, would like to put off buying one for a bit)

** Short train commute to work (CBD)

** Safe (I, female, will be living on my own)

** Preferably newly renovated

I work close to Southern Cross so it made sense for me to look at areas in the West such as Footscray, West Footscray, Yarraville, Seddon, Spotswood and Newport. Areas in the East/North (disregarding budget constraints) would add more stops (City Loop) to my commute

I am prepared to pay a "premium" for safer surroundings - I believe there are "safer" pockets within the inner west. Keen to hear where they are...

Are there other areas I should consider?

I'm in two minds about engaging a buyer's agent as well - given my (low) budget, is it worthwhile to do so?

Cheers,

2. bernardblack

bernardblack Active Member

3. laam

laam Active Member

I bought my PPOR (2 bed townhouse) in Newport this time last year and love it, excellent area. Never felt unsafe, but I am a guy.

Not sure if you could get what you want at the price from Seddon to Newport though.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.