VIC Inner city ring Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 6th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Can someone fill me in on the Fishermans Bend Project?, ie. when it starts, infrastructure etc
    Will it be similar to Docklands?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

MTR likes this.
  3. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

what about it? they're just rejuvenating those warehouse factory areas slowly. though some are no -where near that. you either should be closer to port melbourne the beach or south melbourne (market). the in btws like in gladstone st where a lot of apartments are coming up - further walk, no tram or train. seems like a hard sell.

i rather be in melbourne post code off st kilda rd or southbank off wells (close to royal botanical gardens).

5. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Prices appear to holding out??

7. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

out of interest, what are everyones thoughts on the boroondara side of glen iris - seems to be decent value comparatively to ashburton/camberwell - does it miss out on school zones or something? i notice two properties presently with 830m2 blocks with modest homes with pricing of $2M (per statement of info)... $2500/m2 seems like recent value?

41 Summerhill Road Glen Iris Vic 3146 - House for Sale #127707594 - realestate.com.au
    50 Valley Parade Glen Iris Vic 3146 - House for Sale #127653470 - realestate.com.au

8. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Buying near train lines always good in these areas except for anything on the Alamein Line (I'd rather be close to a city bound tram than this). Get the stuff close to Glen Waverley Line

9. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Glen Iris is a fantastic area. I'd rather live there than in Ashburton as it's slightly closer to the city. It still has some very good schools in the area (e.g. Caulfield Grammar, Korowa, Glen Iris Primary). I'd still much prefer to live in Camberwell if I could afford it though. Main reasons being that I don't really like the Glen Waverley line as there's no express trains whereas there are frequent express trains that stop at Camberwell station during peak hours. I also find the M1 freeway is always congested no matter what time or day it is so would prefer to take the Eastern freeway. Camberwell also has a lot more shops, places to eat and a much bigger supermarket (i.e. Woolies as opposed to Leo's).

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Noticed more supply coming to market, I have been looking at townhouses. This can only mean one thing, prices may soften.

11. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

We have a house in the boroondara part of glen iris

Not all of it is zoned for camberwell high school. Avoid the alamein line, Glen Waverley is much better. Even though it doesn't have an express train it's 15 min or so to Richmond. Alamein will be more like 25 min. There's cafes scattered around the place but no shopping strip like camberwell junction

It's a "better" suburb than ashburton, but not as good as camberwell

12. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

I've seen several townhouses in the inner east sitting on the market for months. The vendors are still chasing 2017 prices and unwilling to budge. But yes, prices have definitely softened in the townhouse market in these areas.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks for reconfirming I am not on the ground.

MTR:)

14. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Talking to neighbours they say Camberwell high has a higher male to female ratios due to it zone overlapping with Canterbury Girls Secondary College (CGSC). Most people send their daughters there instead of Camberwell High. CGSC as one of the few state all girls school is more sort after than Camberwell High zone.

15. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

sadly ive been well and truly priced out of camberwell

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK back to this thread.

Would like some feedback on Abbotsford, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Is this a suburb with lots of potential, am trolling inner at the moment, just expanding on various suburbs, not necessarily looking at purchasing today.

MTR:)

17. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

abbotsford
    pros - very near to CBD, transportation options are plenty (tram & train) and lots of food choices - smith st, victoria st (and jinda thai - some ppl say best thai in melb), a lot of people do rent in abbotsford. surrounded by million dollar median suburbs and shopping centre (vic gardens), Close to world class medical (epworth in richmond)

Cons- anything facing the hooddle is jam pack traffic and with victoria st - i used to pass this road many years ago daily (and certain hours it is a gridlock). not necessarily a good PPOR - if you ask me as there is the fitzroy towers, and the richmonds housing comm (just adjacent) - church and victoria st - drug deals still go down there. (go on hot day when ppl BBQ and you think u in j-burg or like south central LA)

18. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Having lived in the eastern suburbs all my life, I am convinced that the western suburbs offer better value. Right out to suburbs like Sunshine which is thriving. Same distance to the CBD is half the price in the west v east. There is a real divide in Melbourne between west and east but that divide is breaking down.

MikeyBallarat and MTR like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, Sunshine already had massive growth

20. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Sunshine West also good, if not better, given houses are newer. Of course, suburbs like that are still referred to as ‘scunshine’ in the east, which is very unfair and just plays to stereotypes. This will all change, and indeed has changed and is reflected in the rising prices. Go back 30 years. I grew up in the St Kilda. In high school, students would say to me, ‘oh you don’t live there do you’, that’s where all the druggies live. ‘Hey, he lives in St Kilda’ they would say. Look for the suburbs close to the city with bad reputations I say. Take a long term view. Things change.

MikeyBallarat and MTR like this.