VIC Inner city ring Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 6th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

In this order

Carlton North
    Fitzroy or Fitzroy North
    Northcote (we can be neighbours and hang out haha!!)
    Moonee Ponds/Ascot vale
    Thornbury
    Fairfield/alphington

MTR likes this.
  2. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

If I were without a small human, I would look around South Yarra, Richmond and out to Hawthorn on the East or Kensington way on the West.

The inner East I think has a lot to offer and both those areas on either side of the city offer some really beautiful properties, in beautiful suburbs without being far from the city, cafe, shops etc.

Both sides have areas that are much more family friendly and have parts with more apartments/congestion.

I don't think it's been suggested yet, but if you're not going into the city during peak hour regularly something like Newport might be nice. Maybe not as convenient as some of the others named earlier, but is a nice place which still has a bit of the water and closeness to the city (albeit traffic can be a nightmare over the Westgate at times).

pwt, MTR and craigc like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Kensington seems to offer excellent value compared to inner East
    Never considered this pocket. Thanks

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

5. Lil Skater

I think it has changed, the people I meet at inspections has certainly changed (along with the prices). Funny the last page in 2014 says Kensington is geared towards professionals, and I'd agree even now as that tends to be the people coming through inspections.

I'd say Flemington would have a slightly younger average age, but I'm going to guess Flemington has more apartments as well. Kensington have a huge development of (poorly) built apartment buildings over near South Kensington station, IMO not as nice an area and not as many of the beautiful heritage overlay properties.

I also see Kensington Banks has been discussed in the first few pages, it's been well maintained, but has that older "man made" area feel. I don't know how to describe that? I've got properties right across the road from parts of it though and haven't had any issues, still quiet like the rest of it.

MTR likes this.
  6. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts on 3 or 4 bedder apartments/townhouses near Prahran for investment? Thinking it should be easy to rent out.

Has market in inner Melb soften a bit? Saw a property asking for 4% below where it was sold a year ago.

7. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

4 bedroom townhouse in Prahran you’re looking at about $2m. Is that your budget?

Do you mind sharing the link to the 4% under property? I like inner suburbs for investments.

pwt likes this.
  8. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Prahran's three bed unit's medium is just over 1mil, I don't think there are many four bed units in Prahran.

pwt likes this.
  9. Lil Skater

Not many 4 beds either, 3 beds rent pretty well if they have a standard kind of floorplan (a lot of people want to share with friends).

pwt likes this.
  10. rayan1910

rayan1910 Active Member

Instead of Hawthorn I would probably look at Malvern East, Glen Iris and Camberwell. Close to shops easy ,access to city and very safe. Not too hard to find a period fixer upper in these areas for $1.8-$2.1M depending on land. Camberwell probably being the best but much more expensive than the other two.

11. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

@zed_kid budget is below $2m, although was hoping low to mid $1m. I'll send the link if I don't end up getting involved with that property.

I see that there are quite a few properties around Prahran area without car parks. Aye or nay? I think without car park won't great for growth.

Any areas near Prahran to avoid? It's been many years since I last been there and I bet a lot has changed since.

This property in Kew had hardly moved up in value since 2010. Any reason why?

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2017
  12. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch anything without a car park or balcony/backyard, bad for resell.

pwt and hobo like this.
  13. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

The best area of Prahran would be the Hawksburn village precinct between Malvern, Williams, High and Orrong. If you can get anything around Chatsworth road you’re laughing.

The not so nice area is around the commission housing on Malvern road near Chapel street, but it’s not bad.

hobo and pwt like this.
  14. willfong

willfong Active Member

My guess is the current owner overpaid for it when it was brand new and shiny. New buildings depreciate.

MikeyBallarat and pwt like this.
  15. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this one in St Kilda? Price guide $1.7-$1.8m, looks easy to rent out and should get a decent rent?

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Above $900pw based on looking at the other properties, which is pretty on par with Melb rental yield.

The Y-man

pwt likes this.
  17. The Y-man

Location has no transport, and miles from the junction (where the shops are). House has no character (period homes are highly sought in this area)

The Y-man

Lil Skater and pwt like this.
  18. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Could perhaps boost its yield by airbnb perhaps, given its location? How desirable is that location? Been a few years since I last visited Melbourne, but thought location is quite good.

19. The Y-man

IMHO Location is great - very close to transport, cbd, lifestyle etc.

The Y-man

20. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone has recommended Armadale or Hawksburn. Expensive but they are close to everything and have their own shopping strips with heaps of options.

The Y-man likes this.