Info on Kit Homes in Sydney

Discussion in 'Development' started by Vishh, 22nd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Anybody here built Kit homes?
    I am comparing regular versus Kit homes and the savings are too good.

For eg : Ref : https://countrykithomes.net.au/view-price-lists/https://countrykithomes.net.au/view-price-lists/

You can get a 4Bed Kit home ~120K. plus site and assembling costs which I was told is in the range of 60-80K.
    A similar build with Metricon / Rawson can cost ~~280k

Now I am not sure on few details and gathering below info.
    1) Council approval in Sydney although Kit home companies says there wont be any problem.
    2) Grants for First Home builder.
    3) Resale price
    4) Total time from ordering to build completion

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

Cheers,
    Vish

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think kit ways have a long way to go in Australia. My aunt lives in one that was built 35 years ago and it's really good quality, that's in Germany though.

I'd be very interested in kit townhouses!

3. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Wow! 35 years That answers about durability of kit homes in general.
    Of late, I have seen kit home concept gaining steam here. I could see multiple vendors offering kit home solutions which was not the case earlier.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many councils refuse pemission in inner metro areas to kit, portable homes, manufactured, transportable etc and may limit these to a battle axe block at best or for GF behind. The street amenity rule ! And neighbours objections if they get wind of a project next door. So all the upgrades needed start to make it costly. Common in rural and fringe areas.

There are some kit homes that are high end and hard to pick but they have list prices in the $200K + eg Steel Kit Homes Prices & Floor Plans | PAAL Kit Homes plus build cost, approvals, levies (!!!), survey, plumbing, electricals, fitout costs etc. So the cheap build starts to go north quickly.

Finance is another main reason. Lenders may not touch it. Its a OB job of course unless you add building costs. And if you cant afford to build a project home then you may be unable to build a kit without cutting corners and quality. Pricelists always seem to mention some add ons and not the full list.

I dont think I have ever seen one of these companies show real world photos and use artists impressions. Why ?

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Don't buy one from IKEA:

upload_2020-10-22_14-25-53.png

Pingu1988 and SatayKing like this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

hard to get an approval if you need finance for the build - not impossible though.

You also have to apply for the owner builders licence and do a short course, unless you use a builder to 'assemble' it.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Or, if you do, don't lose the Allen key.

Pingu1988 likes this.