Infinite Wealth, house and land ?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by TheNewGuy, 4th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Member

Investoradam how did you go about purchasing your second property in Brisbane? You do it alone or did you get the guidance from a third party? I take it that was house and land package with your indication with the property due to be finished ?

2. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Member

Shogun thanks for the link but I’m not looking for a property that old because Maintenace cost will be considerably high due to the age of the dwelling. Also I want to build a vast asset base to produce good equity before buying a property to subdivide and then I will have the funds to sustain that kind of dwelling and the deposit to develope and subdivide the land.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Maintenance cost on this will be high, not the one in that link .

Screenshot_20190306-051457.jpg

I think you need to challenge what you know about RE investing, then learn a whole new set of principles.

KateSydney and Shogun like this.
  4. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Member

I am new to investing and I’m looking to learn and absorb as much information as possible. If I purchased a property like this, what kind of maintenance cost would I be looking at to maintain this dwelling ?
    The dwelling is 43 years old there could be a number of issues with this property but would only know on further inspection.

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What you dont understand is the issues new properties have. How do you know that the roof doesnt leak? In a new house you have to wait till it rains. In an older house if there is no damp or water damage you can be pretty sure it doesnt leak.

Cosmetic issues like old paint is cheap to fix. Bad foundations or waterproofing, on the other hand......

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2019
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

At under $600 a m2 it is a well priced block with a free house. I am not saying buy this one but just an example of what I have learnt off here to look for.

I would be more worried about building issues and warranty problems with a "cheap" developer built house.

I paid $150 to have a spout replaced above a bath because I was away, yet I replaced a shower head for $20

Google suggests allow 1% of property value per year. Depending if you pay for work or diy I can see that number over a long period of time. $1000+ hot water systems tend to fail past 10 years etc. Same with older air cons. Minor plumbing issues is common for me, the occasional door or window lock. Minor electrical issues replace RCD or smoke detector both $100 to $150 each

7. Trainee

Didnt catch you early enough before getting brainwashed by spruikers. (Sigh)

gty12 likes this.
  8. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Member

Trainee personal question how Long have you been investing if you don’t mind me asking?

Looks like I have my principles all wrong could you please give me some direction to correct these wrongs? i.e. books to read, podcasts to listen, investment magazines etc

A lot of research i’m doing is contradicting, investors saying new dwellings are the way forward for tax purposes and maintenance cost its the best strategy. Then I read to buy established property under market median value with potential gentrification is the better strategy ? But everybody has the own preferred opinion.

9. Trainee

You headed in one direction after talking to a marketing guy and now doubt yourself because of an anonymous internet forum. Think about that. You think its contradicting because you are treating all sources equally.

You have to decide for yourself whether you agree with the following. All are opinions and nothing is advice.

Land appreciates, buildings depreciate.

New house: more depreciation (you pay for it in the price) but lower repairs. Higher risk of structural problems you cant see, low land content in price, if new estate lots of competition.

Old house: less depreciation and higher repairs but lower chance of build issues. More chance of future value in development etc. think selling to a developer.

Infinite exceptions to the above. Some areas only have units. In a rising market otp and house and land can be great. Gentrification might not happen. Old houses can have real structural problems.

Its your money.

The Y-man and TheNewGuy like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Assuming new dwellings have no maintenance issues ( unlikely) , what you need to realise is youll be paying a premium for new stock, often a big one. Much more than the general maintenance of older dwellings . I have many established ips and i generally only have the odd small thing to fix. Occasionally you get the more expensive issue but its not everyday. Besides that , there are a list of other reasons . Do more research . Also you mentioned tax. You never want tax benefits to guide/determine what you buy. Ever.

And yes you're right . Everybody and his dog out there has an opinion but very few are able to build large portfolios .

Also right now you're a spruiker/otp agent/developer's dream and on their wish list for xmas.

You need to have a much broader perspective before you formulate a plan imo.

Buy Yardney, Lomas, Do books. Expand your overall knowledge. Give yourself at least 3 months .

KateSydney and TheNewGuy like this.
  11. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

@TheNewGuy just an observation if I may. I am a older retired person on this site who has owned a few properties in the past and still own a few but no longer see myself as an active investor. When listening to people you are talking to remember to understand their motivation. Do they have any? In particular are they selling you something? The people on this site give free real life personal experiences, theirs is not advice. I wish I could have had access to a group like this when my investment journey started many years ago. I wish you well in what ever you choose.

12. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Member

Sackie Thank you for your advice. I’m glad I’ve come to this forum and asked the questions I have. I won’t be sigining anything from infinite wealth. When I made the decision to start investing in real estate I never thought of buying off the plan. But after an infinte wealth seminar and a few follow up meeting, they nearly had me with all depreciation tax saving benefits low maintenance cost. So glad they haven’t head back in the books to broaden my perspective.

Islay and Sackie like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Saved in time:)

14. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

Yeah I did the basic house and land package due to low on going maintenance costs!
    I’m originally from Brisbane and know the lay out rather well. But also spoke with so called property gurus

The property came with a 16 week guarantee build time & so far on schedule!

As time consuming as it may seem, just read up,listen to pod casts and chat to as many gurus as you can! Some are genuine and almost are full of crap!
    IMO those one stop shops with the same plan for all are the last places you should be going to

TheNewGuy likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As someone who has bought 1 off the plan, 1 brand new, 1 that was 3 years old, several that were 30~40 years old, and several that are over 100 years old, I can tell you I have had more heartaches with the off the plan and brand new properties than any of the others.

As I have written elsewhere, unlike cars, houses and apartments are NOT made on a quality controlled production line.

So a brand new abode has MANY issues to fix. A pre-loved property - has all of the initial building issues sorted out.

It can take several years for some building issues to show up - long after the builder has disappeared. These have included for us: slow leaking plumbing inside wall cavity that eventually destroyed the internal plasterboard (that's when it was noticed) and necessitated repairs by breaking a hole in brick wall; incorrect/incomplete electrical wiring in premise; incorrect installation of oven; incorrect gas specification cooking stove; faulty hot water unit; cracked tiles; cracked kitchen bench.... granted almost all of these can be claimed on insurance / warranty - but if it is an IP, your tenant will be calling for alternate accommodation, rental reductions, money for inconvenience, failure to provide safe place to live etc etc .

I have also read on this site various issues people have had where leaks have developed (damaged/missing waterproof membranes) in bathrooms, balconies, roof, cracks in walls etc.

As @Sackie has mentioned above, the premium you can pay on a brand new shiny thing can be upwards of 30% over the price of an established property (you often can't figure this out, because the clever developer will plonk your new house in the middle of nowhere, where you cannot make a comparison). Think about this - put yourself in the developer's shoes - to make any profit, you have to account for land cost, building cost, marketing costs, etc etc - how much over the top of an older property would you need to charge to make a decent living from it?

On the other hand an old property. You buy it at a price where you have all the immediate repairs factored in - so you negotiate saying, "hey I like this house but I need to replace 200 roof tiles, repoint the roof, fix 20 gutter leaks, install a new power board, replace 5 window frames... I'll offer you your asking price minus $X" and work from there. Try doing that with a developer....

After you have all the structurals fixed up, it's pretty much as good as a brand new property anyway (ok, so you need to reno the interior - again factor it in your offer).... remember your brand new house will be old in 10 years time....

Just keep in mind that YOU do not have to subdivide and develop. You can hold it and wait for a wannabe starry eyed developer to come knocking at your door to buy it off you at a stupidly high price (which of course you should take). So my take is, "Don't buy to subdivide; buy something subdividable instead" or "buy something with a dirty great big back/front yard in a neighbourhood where no one else has a backyard to speak of, even if you can't subdivide it (scarcity factor)"

The Y-man

Ringo1, berten, thatbum and 4 others like this.
  16. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

@TheNewGuy Let me be a cautionary tale for you (sort of). About 10 years ago I bought two newish properties (the spruikers used to refer to them in those days as "dripping with depreciation"). Not that I found them through a spruiker.
    Because I thought they were all I could afford to hold, not having a high salary, I hoped that eventually they would have capital growth. Now yes, they finally have, but old hands here will know what I mean when I say they're in Melton West and Mildura, and on blocks about 350 sqm.
    On the one hand, without the negative gearing I couldn't really have held any property at all, and therefore I certainly have gained about $100k in equity in each of them without paying any of the principal down. I was sending my daughter to a $20k pa school at the time.
    Now that I'm on this forum (learning, learning) I do often wish I had tried that bit harder at the time of purchase to find the perfect property. I had read every Lomas book and I knew the importance of identifying a property that had both CG and cash flow. I just gave up on finding both together.

And settled for the cash flow. That has meant I have never at any time had to consider selling my properties. But because I am now 60, I may not be getting any more properties. So I think I wish I had been on here earlier and got these people's advice on particular properties, and got more motivated to get CG ones. If you've read til here you deserve a medal and I can't even remember what point I set out to make!
    Best of luck - you're certainly starting out well.

The Y-man, TheNewGuy, Shogun and 2 others like this.
  17. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

You should run real estate seminars

18. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Member

Thanks to everyone on this feed for your information. I’m going to keep in mind all the information I have read and start by doing more research and reading. Then start my search for an established property in a good location with the potential of good capital growth in a shorter time then buying a off the plan property miles away from the CBD.

mrdobalina, The Y-man, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

As others have pointed out there is no need to build a vast asset base to produce good equity or to even wait to buy a property to subdivide.
    Gone as the days of being able to have vast asset bases due to lending changes anyway.
    Providing your first development isn't a 10 storey, 40 apartment block then there is no reason why you can make your first foray into investing be a very simple development. It is riskier than a normal IP but probably less risky than buying in Alkimos :p

Some good authors to add to the reading list
    Ron Forleee
    Margaret Lomas
    Ben Kingsley
    Steve McKnight

They will all have different takes on the right answer and many books are out of date as soon as they are printed but the idea is to make you think about the different options and decide which might be best for you. In such fast moving/changing banking policy times many books about buying fast and hard are now a pipe dream for many.

TheNewGuy likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What a 180 from your first post and hugely in the right direction now . ;)

KateSydney, TheNewGuy and thatbum like this.