VIC Infill Developments

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by zed_kid, 26th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on infill developments? To me it seems like a no-brainer as even greenfield developments are flying off the shelf so to speak.

I understand that infills have a much higher entry cost and I’m ok with that. What are the risks here? The usual stuff like settlement risk / delays / work quality?

Particularly interested in the yarra bend development in Alphington as a future PPOR.

Yarra Bend Alphington, YarraBend, Alphington, Vic 3078 - realestate.com.au

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't know much about them. First big one I really saw was The Haig in Heidelberg Heights. Welcome to The Haig

Something I noticed about those townhouses is that they sold for much higher prices than other new townhouses in the locality. It made me wonder if they would hold their value or if there would be a lower return at sale. Then I guess it would depend how long you hold for.

Alphington is a good location!

3. zed_kid

Looking as a PPOR, so hold for a while as we’re planning to start a family also. The location is amazing for a young family.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Is it too early to tell if there is any kind of ongoing fee for holding a property like this? In WA it would be a strata levy. In the USA it would be HOA fee. I don't know if they have an equivalent in VIC but it would cover maintenance of facilities etc. Or are these stand alone?

5. zed_kid

1st release is stand alone houses on land. That’s what peaked my interest, they’re not town houses.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perfect! :)

zed_kid likes this.
  7. zed_kid

Haha just the price isn’t so perfect. :)

Speaking of price is there negotiation room on infills? Or is like a take it or leave it type thing as the product is in short supply.

8. Perthguy

Don't know about negotiating, you would have to call the developer. Looks expensive sure... just don't look next door in Kew! ;)

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

If the market is dead then yes, if its hot then likely you will have 10+ other people bidding for the same site and we know what that means.

zed_kid and Perthguy like this.