Incessant smoke from next door

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Whitecat, 8th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Meander

Meander New Member

Like seriously .. from what I read here you are the one being hard to get on with, he is entitled to live how he wants on his property. If it is a problem to you, you need to find a solution on your side, it has nothing to do with him! No doubt this is how he's lived for years, it's probably all he has in life, he does not need to change to fit in with neighbours. You have 2 options find a solution on your side or move.

There are far worse things he could be doing so perhaps count your blessings.

2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

It seems like it's getting very expensive to kill yourself.

4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

The smoke is hard one and would generally be considered your problem. Technically you could run a private nuisance action against them but it would be a question of fact as to whether the nuisance is substantial and unreasonable.

You might be able to bring an action under the planning act in relation to the use of the land. - You are looking at ~$17k plus GST to get to the mediation stage on that.

Whitecat likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the reality is that you have to close up your house and run air-con at night when he is smoking (if he won’t close his windows or
    move to another area of his house to smoke).

Or let him know loudly that his smoke is bothering you each time it happens. Perhaps he will get sick of you calling his name and asking if he’d mind closing a window. But that does the same job as blasting him with loud music and isn't as aggressive or seen as retaliatory (hopefully).

Whitecat likes this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

He said he thought about it and decided he likes the taste of the tar too much

7. Whitecat

Other things I could do something about ie if he had a barking dog or a meth lab. This is particularly bad as it does not stop I set up a fan and he made noise complaints. I don't see it how you do. If someone is affecting others they should make some compromise or take some responsibility

The Gambler likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Made noise complaints to who?

A normal pedestal fan or a giant industrial fan?

Whitecat likes this.
  9. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Can you just blow it back at him

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Whitecat

An industrial pedestal. Has to be for outside. Like ones you might find in a gym or warehouse But not a drum fan

11. wylie

What happened when he reported you?

12. Whitecat

He complained about the noise of the fan to council

13. Whitecat

He's totally intractable and basically occupies the same 10m radius between his bedroom and the balcony where he's smokes in both locations he does not stop smoking so there's no point in time in which I wouldn't be calling his name. He never leaves the house. He doesn't want to change. I'm going to move on. But it could be a while before I can do that. I'm the meantime it's quite uncomfortable as an asthmatic. The fan helps I'm hoping a lower speed will keep me free from council fines.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Would they dare to fine you?

15. wylie

I’d stick with the fan. Check the decibels and know you are under the limit. He sounds like a hypocrite. He doesn’t want the noise? He can smoke on the other side of the house. His decision. People like him annoy me.

craigc, d_walsh and Whitecat like this.
  16. Whitecat

I don't know they seem to be pretty useless on the compliance action with him it's the same team called Environmental Health. His place is absolutely covered in vegetation and they haven't followed up on the compliance notice about that they don't seem to be able to do anything about the rotting cat food which is also a reason why the fan is helpful. And as for vermin I don't think I'll ever get a rat or a termite in my house because there's just so much happening for them on this side of the fence. However council fails miserably with intractable people like him and probably think I'm much more likely to comply and pay a fine.
    I'm thinking of getting on the front foot and explaining the purpose of the fan (if it's not obvious) and inviting them to measure the decibel level and ask them why they have ignored the compliance notice they sent him about the out of control vegetation. Council made a big deal late last year with media releases about how they had a new team and they were going to force property owners to clean up their overgrown properties where those properties were not consistent with neighbourhood standards. 20170604_155814.jpg

17. Whitecat

That's my feeling He has choice about where he smokes and choice of shutting doors and windows. Here's the council letter. this is the second one I've received both exactly the same IMG_20180911_173549.jpg IMG_20180912_082636.jpg

18. babyboomer1

babyboomer1 Well-Known Member

Call a Current Affair and see if they can do a story

19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Quote..
    My freehold cottage is close to my neighbour He is an alcoholic who smokes all day without stopping and well into the night..

Just looking at the building ,and the cat's claw vine that has taken over the building then it may tell you something about the title holder -I don't think he would give a stuff about anyone and if he's a smoker and full blown alcoholic and going into oblivion..
    The only way would be apply to the BCC to take the fence up as high as you can -or set up a internal extraction ducted system -but even then Fan motor would be facing his property,and from my small experience people who live like this do so because then can,and leave big estates ,and have "FU"money..

Whitecat likes this.
  20. d_walsh

d_walsh Well-Known Member

If he has an issue with noise of the fan, play music loudly at the same time which has a higher noise level allowance. He won’t hear the fan anymore then...

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.