Inappropriate ad?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by spludgey, 15th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

While I don't really like ads (who does, right?), I definitely understand the need for them to provide a high quality forum like this for free.
    However, one ad that keeps popping up is in my mind very contrary to what this website is about. Maybe I'm just too thin skinned about this one, but it just rubs me up the wrong way, because I would be very surprised if pink diamonds weren't a terrible investment!

What are your thoughts about this?
    [​IMG]

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had this one pop up on Facebook. I get a lot of investment related ads.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Oops.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I wouldn't buy pink diamonds (I would expect them to have low liquidity on the secondary market and difficult to verify authenticity) but what makes them a terrible investment?

5. spludgey

Not being able to use (much) leverage, probable volatility, no income derived from it, potential of massive disruption due to synthetic diamonds, hard to gauge value of individual stones for the layman. That's off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Shazi likes this.
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

So if all those traits make it an inappropriate ad, then shouldn't we also be removing any discussion of crypto from the forum for the same reasons?

qak likes this.
  7. spludgey

With discussions there's at least pros and cons and crypto has at least some utility. But yes, I wouldn't think it's a great long term investment vehicle either.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I find that advert annoying too - but I don't necessarily think it is inappropriate.

Diamonds may not be what we consider to be "investments" (doesn't meet the "income" criteria) - but they are still widely used stores of value, just like other gemstones.

Ironically, one of the proposed uses for blockchain technology is to prove provenance of valuable items - which could be used for tracking diamonds and other precious gems.

9. geoffw

I had a friend who invested in precious stones many years ago. She found, when it was time to try and selk them, that a high profit margin had been built into the initial purchase, meaning that she made a loss despite a food appreciation of the value of gemstones.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Frankly, who actually sees the ads?

Unless I am just lucky, the ads are in a little banner across the top of the site and I don’t actually “see” any. I had to scroll to the top of the page to see what was there just now.
    Marg

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I got an advert for Tipple. An investment in better brain & liver health, not.

inertia likes this.
  12. geoffw

Well, if ads are targeted towards people most likely to use the product ...

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That sounds like not having fully investigated the exit strategy before buying. Akin to trying to flip a house and land package or OTP for a profit when the purchase price has the developer's profit and purchase costs but no capital growth.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I had an ad for Rochdale Estates, a new development not far from us!
    Marg

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I simply don't see ads on any of the pages they pop up on - news, social media, forums - but do wished I'd bought a few ingots of gold back in the 80's

16. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I have had the Allegedly Telstra won a free phone/iPad pop up a few times. I can’t seem to ignore it without shutting the session (in iPhone). Has anybody else had this?
    Thanks

17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you able to try and get a link for me? See if you can touch-and-hold to copy a link to the clipboard and then paste here or in a PM or email to me - then I can pass that on to my ad provider to block it.

18. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

98536A8A-74A1-4888-AD79-618FCE9FBA5C.png Similar to @craigc but my add is iiNet... I am on an iPad and chrome

19. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

That’s it Kassy, mine was Telstra but that was it. I couldn’t back or anything so had to can the session.

20. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

That's malware, not an ad from Telstra, iiNet or propertychat.... despite the branding.