In Specie transfer from external portfolio into Super Fund

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Sick_of_scams, 26th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sick_of_scams

Sick_of_scams Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a portfolio of shares that I self manage.

I have been informed of the possibility of being able to make an in specie transfer of those shares into a Super Fund.
    I understand that this will unfortunately trigger a Capital event due to the transfer from my name into the Trustee's name (Super Fund). I think that there may be a Capital Gains tax reduction in some cases.

I am wondering if there are members here who have done this and recommend any good industry funds to use? I am with Host Plus, but they do not allow it.

I have looked at SMSF scenario but due to a chance that I may become a non-resident in the future (or may not) it is considered too risky due to Australian taxation laws surrounding SMSFs.

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I looked at this years ago when I set up my smsf and found that the cost to transfer each stock of relatively small value was about the same as the costs of selling in one name and purchasing in the other.

It is also something that can be done over a few years to reduce the CGs to a point where you don't hit the highest tax bracket unless of course you are lucky enough to already be in the highest tax bracket.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Few public funds permit inspecie transfers. The tax ruling TR2010/1 also contains some curly issues. Eg you can sell CBA shares at $65 for cgt but SMSF laws may consider them acquired at $70...it can.leave a cgt hole