Improving Walls in bedroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by iwantahouse, 19th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

Thanks, and yes, small strips, they are falling very easily.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That’s because water based paint was painted on top of oil based paint with no preparation like penetrol (usually).

Do you intend to repaint with oil based or water based paint?

3. iwantahouse

We have not decided yet. We have a baby coming and we are not sure whether oil based is a good idea knowing that we would have to do the whole house... what do you recommend?

I suppose the easy way is to use oil enamel on top of the old one without priming?

4. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

New enamel will go over the old enamel but personally would still do some minor prep to scuff the surface for adhesion key.
    Water based is much easier long term, requires a light sand and prime with a good water based primer and then use a water based enamel, there are some good products on the market, once the enamel is painted over correctly don’t have to worry about it again

iwantahouse likes this.
  5. iwantahouse

Thanks, I was also told the same from Dulux. May I ask if you have used Penetrol instead of water based primer?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The most important thing is to follow the surface preparation instructions on the back of the paint tin to the letter.

Dulux aqua-enamel is excellent (but pricey). I use this and reduce brush marks with an additive (the additive works with all water based paint).

Regarding painting over oil-based with water-based, you can reduce the gloss level by sugar soap and sanding or use penetrol.

I would rely on the Dulux technical advice line / in-shop expert to confirm the mix of original oil coat / primer type / top coat.

Last edited: 28th May, 2020
    iwantahouse likes this.
  7. jared7825

Penetrol is typically used with oil based paint (can be mixed in directly) but also can be painted over with acrylic paint once its dry, the same company also produce EB Emulsa Bond and ESP easy surface prep.

I always prefer to use a good primer over the existing oil based surface rather then additives, even some instances with self priming exterior paint it gives a much better finish using a good 3in1 primer. This is what I always recommended to people in the 16years I was in the paint industry.

As Joynz stated you can use Floetrol or Dulux hot weather thinner as the water based glosses do tend to streak more off the brush then oil based paints

Last edited: 28th May, 2020
    iwantahouse likes this.
  8. iwantahouse

Hey guys, any recommendation as to what type of white should I use for the timber parts of the room?

Let's say if I wanted to paint walls with natural white, what would be the white recommendation for windows, skirting boards and door/door frames?

Ceiling is going to be painted with Ceiling White.

9. iwantahouse

Hey @Joynz and @jared7825

I haven't started painting yet as I'm still in the process of sanding. Can I ask if I still need to use the Dulux Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer before using Aquanamel even if after sanding there is no more gloss from the old enamel paint?

I don't mean to be lazy just to make sure I spend the money and time on things that are really necessary.

10. jared7825

Hi there, personally yes I would still recommend, sanding the gloss off the enamel surface will provide a good key for the next coat but the primer will ensure that it sticks, last thing you want is to bump trims and have paint easily peeling off, you only have to do the sanding and primer once. Sounds obvious but make sure that all the sanding dust is cleaned off and surface allowed to dry before primer.

iwantahouse likes this.
  11. iwantahouse

Thanks mate, I just wanted to make sure before moving forward with the painting.

12. iwantahouse

Can I clean the dust with sugarsoap? How long it i recommended to let it dry before applying primer? Sorry for asking too many questions, I'm just learning as I go.

13. jared7825

Yes clean with mild sugar soap mix to remove any sanding dust and contamination on the surface, will not take long for the surface to dry with a fan running

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Sugar soap is great for getting rid of grease and dirt from painted surfaces before painting.

However, sugar soap is supposed to be applied then rinsed off - which is overkill for just getting rid of sanding dust.

If the surface isn’t greasy or dirty, sugar soap isn’t needed (and especially if it’s all been sanded off).

Usually water (and similar liquids) isn’t used on bare wood because water can raise the grain.

To get rid of dust, take a rag (e.g. ripped up towel or old flannelette sheet or a t shirt). Fold it in a square and pass it over once, refold to a clean square and wipe again etc.

But, if you feel you must use water, just use a very very well wrung out damp cloth.

iwantahouse likes this.
  15. jared7825

would be no need to sand it down to bare timber anyway, although might get some burn through to bare wood in the occasional spot the original coating should still be in tact, just de-glossing the enamel is sufficient for adhesion of the primer.

If water is going to raise the grain what do you think the primer is going to do (its waterbased but oil based would do the same) if the grain raising was/is an issue would then once dry hit the primer with ~320grit before top coating to knock it down.

iwantahouse likes this.
  16. iwantahouse

Hi guys, thank you for your help, I really appreciate your patience.

I finished sanding the water paint off the wood trims in the bedroom with an 80 sandpaper. Surface feel smooth and enamel is not shining anymore. It is necessary to sand again with a finer sandpaper before priming?

17. iwantahouse

Hey guys,

What is the best way to clean skim coated walls before priming? I was going to clean them with a wet piece of cloth and I could see skim coat coming of the wall onto the cloth... it is this normal? Skim coat was done more than a month ago.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why would you need to clean it? I’d just paint on the sealer/primer. Assuming the skim coat is dry.

Brushing with a brush may leave marks. A wet cloth will dissolve the plaster.

If it is dusty from sanding us wipe a very soft, dry cloth - like an old tee shirt, or brushed cotton sheet folded flat - and wipe over gently in straight, long strokes - refolding the cloth to a clean area as needed.

wylie and iwantahouse like this.