Impact on interest rate rises in lifestyle locations

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Serveman, 10th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Over the last 2 years during the pandemic, quite a few people bought in sea, tree or snow change locations and prices really spiked partly because a lack of stock.
    Now with interest rates on the rise, my question is whether these lifestyle location areas will experience greater price drop pressure than metropolitan Sydney or Melbourne, or will it hold up better.
    CBA has gone as far as to predict an 18 percent drop in metro Sydney and Melbourne markets and while they got things very wrong during the pandemic, how do people see the economic fundamentals play out with lifestyle v metro property prices.

Whitecat likes this.
  2. JTF

JTF Well-Known Member

Just posted this on another thread, relevant for this discussion

'The amount of froth in places like Hervey Bay (flat for 15 years prior to Covid) and Nelson's Bay (another serial underperformer) has been insane. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to own a holiday house with basement rates and pent up equity.

This unit in Nelson's Bay sold for 1.235m. I actually can't believe some of the capital being outlaid.
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-apartment-nsw-nelson+bay-137374154

These sort of areas will be down 30% by close of 2023 IMO and purchasers will be in negative equity for 10 years at least.'

Whitecat, Jaacksn, Redom and 6 others like this.
  3. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

wow very expensive for that. yeah id be worried about any lifestyle area not within a car commute of a major job centre

Whitecat and Serveman like this.
  4. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I know people who have sold up in Sydney and then paid in excess of 3 million in places like Jindabyne and Bellingen and I wonder whether it was a mistake or whether it was a good move. Nearest town in Jindabyne is 45 minutes to Cooma and then another hour to Canberra and it’s the coldest place in Australia, whereas Bellingen quite small and it’s a drive on Waterfall way to Coffs Harbour, but at least it’s mild.

Whitecat and Bris developer like this.
  5. Bris developer

Bris developer Well-Known Member

i would add the Gold Coast to this list, which I know might sound controversial.
    I worked as a dentist 10 years ago on the Gold Coast and there was very very little disposable income (other than a handful of blue ribbon suburbs) after the GFC. I appreciate the Gold Coast has fundamentally gentrified but I question if it has the depth of wealth/industries that the three major capital cities have.

There was plenty of crazy prices paid during Covid by cashed up southerners looking for a holiday home and I would expect the Gold Coast to come back 30% like it does in every downturn.

The marginal buyer dictates the price of every asset/market and when you consider lack of FOMO/mortgage stress/ ability to travel overseas - the Gold Coast can deflate relatively quickly.

Watch the unit market carefully as during the last downtown it was a major oversupply that took years to resolve.

bmc, Whitecat, Dmash and 3 others like this.
  6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of retired seniors on the GC don't have solid incomes anymore. The place is well known for the 1 cent millionaires.

7. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Agree with general sentiments, definitely GC a holiday destination thats it. 100% all will fall greater than 30%. Next 2 years very interesting, as most of them will relocate back to metro and thats why i stick to metro say middle ring specifically. No way i will invest in these lifestyle locations, i feel sorry for new comers they need to be really careful.

8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Hmm Sydney 'lifestyle' areas like the Northern Beaches appear to be coming off a bit faster and first. Given temporary demand (covid preferences) will likely slow away and possibly even reverse over the next few years, I suspect they'll fall a bit more than other areas. Especially if they've gone on building booms.

bookworm and Serveman like this.
  9. Catsgo

Catsgo Member

I may be biased as I have two properties on the GC, but I’m optimistic that it has matured since the GFC, which admittedly was a pretty grim time on the coast.

Over the past 5 years every friend that was single income with kids, or below average income have left the coast. They’ve gone to Logan or the far outer reaches, of the Gold Coast. It’s been a pretty solid demographic shift. And unlike in 2010, rental vacancies are incredibly tight. I’ve got DINK friends on $150k+ currently living in a studio resort room as there are no rentals.

I’m also optimistic that infrastructure in the pipeline and Olympics cash will keep things ticking over. But it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

craigc likes this.
  10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Comes down to individual taste. I love Jindabyne and the surrounding area and I love my snow sports, my trail walks, cycling and that stuff.

Serveman likes this.
  11. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on inner city lifestyle areas, such as Surry Hills? Eyeing terraces there.. and can't see demand dipping too noticeably

12. Antoni0

Young crooks stealing cars leaves Gold Coast neighbours desperate

13. Catsgo

Catsgo Member

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2022
  14. Antoni0

Hahah! I used to go fishing in the upper end canal estates on the Broadwater, I could write a book on all the dodginess I had seen at the wee hours of the morning. Even got raided by undercover police once, and they found my ziplock bag full of frozen worms.

Catsgo likes this.
  15. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

I have observed the post covid lifestyle is here to stay, albeit in a hybrid format - i.e. a few days WFH is now the norm, as for as long as it is an employees market, most folks won't want to go to an employer that forces them to do 5 days in the office. Having said that, 5 days WFH is definitely not the norm and not to be expected.

In my view, lifestyle location that is still commutable for those ~2 days in the office, is a safer bet than something out in the middle of no where close to a job centre.

Observer and craigc like this.
  17. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Antoni0 likes this.
  18. Samwise

Samwise Well-Known Member

Could be time to re-kindle this thread

... last post June 2022 and current (Nov 2023) interest-rate scenario is very different - mortgages of around 2.5% are now 6%.

6% proving tolerable for PPoR's, but not so sure about Lifestyle property (second homes, not rented). Mixed signs here in WA - land struggling but some big prices being asked at the premium end.

mrdobalina likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I got really bored this morning after reading a capital city thread and started looking up a few lifestyle places. East coast dropping, west coast rising. I’m not sure if my mum is the only person in Aus who gets the newspaper but it’s been interesting to see WA’s beautiful Yallingup feature on the front page of the travel section in a Brisbane newspaper. Nicholas Cage may put it on the map even more after his movie is released.
    Yallingup Suburb Profile | Property Market, House Prices and More - REIWA
    https://www.realestate.com.au/qld/noosa-heads-4567/
    https://www.realestate.com.au/nsw/byron-bay-2481/

IMG_0546.jpeg IMG_0542.jpeg

Whitecat, Samwise and mrdobalina like this.
  20. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

One word, terrible, I inspected fair few properties on the far south coast of NSW, they were going for like 1.4+, now these can be yours for 0.8 to 0.9 mil.

Around Moss Vale, some can be yours for 0.8-0.9, but some vendors still live in 2021/2022 and they want 1.5+, they are dreaming.

Observer likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.