Immigrant journey

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by google boy, 8th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I wrote all that and u only gave me a one liner ?
    Come on u said u wanted discussion on data

2. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

I like tony Robbins as much as the next person but that is a ridiculous comment regarding wage growth which assumes it is based on individuals not having correct philosophy..

A couple of little things like globalisation and technology are causing decline of middle class wage slaves across western world.

To be crystal clear - globalisation and mobility of labour means that there are 2billion ppl willing to work for $1 an hour if given the chance... regardless of any personal philosophies...

Joynz likes this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

'Globalisation and technology' are things, they cannot change it, people who invent them do, hence every individual has a choice in life.
    It was Jim Rohn, not sure where AR came from...?
    You miss the point I pointed out that you should take care of YOU (you keep saying wage growth of the world, or immigrants, or globalisation, et.. - these are circumstances outside your control), as each 'philosophy' - meaning the way YOU think, YOUR ideas, YOUR view on everything in life, YOUR habits, how YOU process experiences.
    Why are you so stuck on wages, in life there are many other ways to earn income, there is earned income or ordinary income from wages, there is also passive income. Learn to become wealthy, or financially independent (they mean to me different things).
    Also, you are stating the challenges of the world (again nothing to do with me or you).
    Let's say there is a war somewhere, and it is important to you, well what do you plan to do about it?
    - You can worry, you can send aid via funds, you can go and take part. These are some of YOUR choices. If you complain to government, well then it is up to them, outside circumstances.
    It is like it is a night right now, a day will follow, whether you like it or not, spring is now and summer will follow, governments (or immigrants, or laws) will come and go, will change things whether we like it or not, interests will go up and down, there will be downturns (winters) and so on....you cannot change it, BUT you can change yourself. There will be challenges, so what can YOU do about it to make your life better?
    This is not an attack, this is to illustrate that our attitude how we think and act plays a major role in our life, so our philosophy does determine how our life turns out IMHO!

My mentors said there is abundance of wealth to spread around!

As Jim Rohn stated:
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure."
    "If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary."
    "If you don’t like how things are, change it! You’re not a tree."

So if you cannot change the wage growth, student visas, immigrants, governments, your employer, etc., you can change yourself, to be more to earn more to invest more to give more to help more!
    "We must all wage an intense, lifelong battle against the constant downward pull. If we relax, the bugs and weeds of negativity will move into the garden and take away everything of value."
    That's what I try to do, live my life and battle against the constant pull, regardless what it is, by changing myself and my philosophy not outside forces which I have no control of!

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

actually its more like $25 for the lemon chicken lunch specials. :)

5. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

That was one of the contributing factors to the fall of the great Roman empire. At one stage their population (1 million) was anywhere between 35-45% migrants (usually slaves or barbarians) locals could not compete with the wages, the currency was devalued and the population turned into a welfare state. cheap Labour doesn't end well for any society.

DowntownBlock and Redwing like this.
  6. melbournian

another assumption statistics and neither an economic perspective - not everyone is studying cookery or bakery courses. Some students come here to train as doctors, engineers and other professionals where many have hardly any time to temp as cleaners or uber drivers.

upload_2017-10-10_14-30-25.png

7. DowntownBlock

Yes but once they finish the engineering degree... what do you think will happen to wage growth for engineers?

Again, it's all about scalability... if you disagree with diltution of labour argument / slow wage growth... why not double the Australian population tomorrow with students..

We would get a lot more doctors, engineers, oh and the illegal workers etc...

Is that what you are arguing for?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I always believe people are paid according to their economic value. Want to earn more ? Very simple. Just increase your value 2 times, 5 times , 10 times.

I always laugh when I see people marching for higher wages etc etc. There are plenty of high paid jobs around. Just need to be valuable enough to the employer to get the job.

Just my opinion. Not looking to debate it. Mind made up long time ago.

craigc and is_don_is_good like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

10. melbournian

Yet another assumption what makes u think all these engineers hang out in Australia ? Secondly do u how many engineers are required for all the billions in dollars in work happening in Victoria. Just the west gate tunnel extension is 5.5bil And not to mention the underground train stations. Don't forget maintenance too. Doctors still required and their salary is not slowing.

Slow wage growth has to do with a lot of other things - don't be easy to point the figure like a Pauline Hanson style. Illegal workers mainly do uber and ubereats Deliveroo style stuff ppl like u wouldn't be bothered to touch in first place

11. DowntownBlock

I'll ignore your emotional language :)

Re engineers and doctors, happy days!

my question remains then - why not double Australia's population tomorrow with student visa'a if it's all good??

Serious question, if you would be good enough to respond....

Personally I would like our refugee intake to be doubled.

12. DowntownBlock

Yep agree 100%. Discussion is more around If immigration has any impact at society / policy level eg economic problem of slow wage growth, infrastructure strain etc

Problems at individual level much easier to diagnose :)

Sackie likes this.
  13. melbournian

nah - emotional is more for guys who get affected - haha this isn't a tribunal or court case or a fight with a builder where there is money on the line :). i think your question is irrelevant as it would depend on the institution. Not everyone who wants to attend melb university to study law commerce or medicine or engineering is going to get accepted just coz they want to. And unless half the students who come want to uber drivers while studying cookery courses yes. The ones who have impact on property are those coin as it would take years to buy property doing 2-3 jobs a day.

why don't you answer my question before ? or maybe you can't?

upload_2017-10-10_20-46-52.png

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I wonder if you would? You would then have grown up with the entitled mentality most Aussies are born with, and most likely would have had a pretty different outcome.
    You came here with an attitude you gained by growing up in Nepal, not Australia.

Biz likes this.
  15. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

If only there were that many dodgy schools to enrol them! (Joking, there's probably too many as it is)

I'm not saying we should double the student intake or allow cheap unskilled labour into the country so we can chase profits. There's enough already here. Strong control of our borders and our sovereignty is very important.

Plenty of the people being exploited aren't students, they are bridging visa and PR holders or Aussies that are allowed to work (i waitered and delivered pizzas in uni for $10 an hour + $1 a delivery + tips and that was better than most shops in the area).

Plenty of people who aren't paying their fair share of tax definitely aren't students either.

Many industries are dependant on cash in hand, not paying tax and underpaying employees. Lots of big players have contributed to it and smaller businesses cut costs to remain competitive.

The government knows what's happening and they barely enforce the laws. We all contribute to the current situation every time we purchase a range of things.

The convo about it can go forever because there's plenty of different industries to angles to discuss. Agree to disagree.

16. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

It's nice to see so many in favour of blatant and deliberate tax fraud.

aussieB likes this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

The reduction in Penalty rates across several industries (hospitality, retail etc.) may have an impact also, as a considerable amount of immigrants work within these industries.For many cash would be King. Tax revenue suffers however.

18. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

I know quite a few people with hospitality businesses and they all say that the numbers wouldn't stack up if every employee was put on the books and got award wages. It's not a matter of greed or screwing the little guy, it just doesn't work.

A friend with a busy cafe has about 2 baristas, a cashier, 2 to 4 floor staff and 3 to 5 in the kitchen, depending on the weekend or if its school holidays or a public holiday. Coffees are already $4, brunch mostly $17 to $20, family members chip in to help. You aren't going to make money if the dishwasher and the kitchen hand alone are getting $40-45 an hour on Sundays and public holiday award rates.

Everyone does it except for some of the biggest restaurant groups. Other operators like George Calombaris and Dainty Szechuan were recent ones to get caught out i believe.

Not that the government has the power to enforce it or really cares to, but that's how the industry operates, and if it was forced to adhere to every rule then prices would skyrocket and most would go out of business.

19. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

actually I know a lot of hospitality workers managers and owners and it is not correct that a) its impossible to be profitable and pay award wages and b) that everyone does it

a friend was recently voted by the his peers and other industry figures as the best venue/bar managber in the country (no mean feat when based in perth and the award is based on votes) and as long as I can remember he has rostered on the full timers, including himself, on sundays etc instead of casuals, has worked to get the place running as efficiently as possible and tweaked the offering to enable it to do so

some similar venues size and rent wise haven't and have gone bust, including some who were known for underpaying staff

ive not known a single staff member at the above gfirst place I mentioned to not get paid what theyre entitled to and the management is on significantly above award yet they manage to stay profitable

when I owned a nightclub everyone was paid legal amounts including super and that's a horrifically expensive award wage after midnight sat night or on public holidays yet we made it work

underpaying staff is never acceptable, neither is tax fraud

I'm all for looking for an edge but not if it means exploiting staff or being a tax cheat, plus why risk the business or my personal finances/freedom by exposing myelf to the risk of being charged if caught? doesn't make sense to me

aussieB likes this.
  20. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

Well there are other industries where high immigration and 457 visas have lowered prospects for workers, eg the IT industry. We were even told by elites that we needed this during the mining boom to keep a lid on wages and inflation. So it is hard to turn around and say high immigration into a slack labour market won't have a negative effect.

Also infrastructure and construction jobs can't be relied on to boost the economy and incomes. For a start the boom is just the result of our huge population growth. It is just then a case of standing still in the face of population growth and not making us any better off. Relying on endless population growth to keep this going has the hallmarks of a Ponzi scheme.