Im redundant..now what

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by sammmeee, 5th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sammmeee

sammmeee Well-Known Member

Was made redundant end of October. Loved my job. Unfortunately they wanted me to do both my job and my boss's or take a redundancy....(my boss was made redundant at the same time ). I chose freedom..didnt want to start at 5.30am and finish at 7pm.

Now I am soooo lost! Have put all my paperwork back in for teacher registration but wont be able to teach until next year. I have just signed up to do a property management course so that I can work in an agency??

Im finding it a mind f...ck going from fast paced media job to now ... nothing.
    What have others done after a redundancy..? (note the redundancy allows me to not work for 6-9months)

2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Apart from obviously looking for another job the time gives you a chance to pursue your passions. E.g. if you enjoy fishing take the time and make the most of it. That's what I did last time I was out of a job.

sammmeee likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Lots of options: buy a house and renovate it, do some online courses (paid or free), take up an excercise program, volunteer, do some night classes (language, arts or cooking), join a club, read books, catch up with your friends, fix up your garden (mine's shocking), find some casual work or travel.

Or why not do all of these? The time to back to work will fly... :)

I do know where you are coming from though. I was once given the chance to work towards having a year off work. The thought of that terrified me! :eek:

sammmeee likes this.
  4. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I have done many start overs. I get it. It feels kind of scary and liberating and lost and joyful and scary again.

Seriously, it ain't that bad to be given an opportunity to reinvent yourself.

I took my first redundancy from the public service when I was 30. I worked in private enterprise and didn't like it. I went back to uni and took a scholarship to study in the US and met my husband.

Since, I have tried all sorts of things. Including owning our own business.

And after all these years, I have come to realise that I am still that kid that never knew what she wanted to do when she left school. And that's ok.

I now believe that I have a much more healthier attitude to working for and with others.

Employers pay me to work because I am good at what I do. But work doesn't define me nor my interests.....and I also know that I can be fired or made redundant or I could decide to quit at any time. And it ain't a life shattering event.

Which makes me more fearless while at work as well as in my life.

Enjoy. Don't be afraid to explore.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Such things can often be a blessing in disguise........... more so if you got a 6 mth salary payout or so

Gives you the chance to wor out what you really want out of life

ta
    rolf

6. devank

devank Well-Known Member

First,, extract any equity and keep it in your offset. You still have last two payslips and in your view you, this event won't affect your financial situation because you will find a job.

When I got my redundancy, I took up small contract jobs until I found the right job.

Last edited: 5th Nov, 2015
    neK likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Make yourself un- redundant.
    It was only a job, you are still the same person.

EN710, Jkat, MTR and 6 others like this.
  8. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Could I suggest a really gentle time to look after yourself? Go for a good long walk in the bush every day.. Spend a bit of time getting to know yourself on that level. Then start thinking about the future! Don't rush... (Been there!)
    I hope this helps

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Christmas jobs should be available

10. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Have a 6-9 month holiday, then get a job.

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I got a redundancy a few years ago.

Was worried about what to do and whether I would find another job. The month before i found out about the redundancy, I had just settled on a property and I found out my wife was pregnant.
    (You could imagine the mindf!@k that was).

1st week of redundancy, bored. Really bored. Sat at home watching TV. Went for job interview

2nd week, repeat of week 1, except i started to hassle the builder and telling them to hurry up and start building my Granny Flat.

3rd week, starting to enjoy this time off, wondering why i went for the job interview

4th week, this time off is awesome!

5th week, found out i got the job. Mixed feelings as I was enjoying being a bum :)

6th week, last week before employment again... boooo. This bummy life is addictive. LOL

Also i dont understand why the redundancy doesn't allow you to work for 6-9 months? Isn't it just you can't work for the same company that gave you the redundancy? There's nothing stopping you from finding employment with another company.

Best thing to do is to put the feelers out there and see what jobs are available. I don't know you, but for you to be offered the options you said you were offered, you must be of decent quality (workwise). It won't be hard to find a job.

Had another friend who also got a redundancy around this time last year. He chilled out, spent time with his kid, looked for jobs in Feb, started work in March.

He too started to enjoy the bummy life too much. :D

MTR, WattleIdo and Darren A like this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Enjoy it!
    I was lucky my wife went to work now I look after the kids!
    You have plenty of time to read and plan! Don't sit idle

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Lost my job early 2013... looked for a while but didn't find anything, decided to leave the country (Switzerland) and moved to Spain, & haven't looked for a job since. Days I go lap swimming, investment research, some tech stuff, look after my kids, learn languages (Spanish & Catalan), sometimes in groups. Just bought a small flat here to renovate and rent out, setting up some local passive income streams. Probably wont work again, I used to like it but sitting in front of a computer 90% of the time was doing my head in.

Observer, Tim86, MTR and 3 others like this.
  14. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Here's what I did:

Spent time with our young kids
    Travelled
    Got really fit and ran a half marathon
    Read everything I could about property investment- to the point where I was bursting with ambition.
    Watched entire series of The Sopranos (again)

Then, when I got another job, I went BOOM and purchased 14 properties in 24 months.

If I never took the redundancy, I would have been too busy on the 8-6 treadmill to get into property.

Use your time wisely. Great time of the year to have a break. Enjoy

ADLInvestor, WattleIdo, S.T and 6 others like this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

5:30am to 7pm..wow....I thought they abolished slavery...unfortunately...I see a lot of this.....

Observer and Tim86 like this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Travel around Oz and/or OS.
    Learn to play another instrument.
    Study something different.
    Write a book.
    Meditate.
    Do exercise.
    Don't **** it all up the wall - just some of it ;)
    Enjoy yourself!

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Awesome mini story!!
    You just need to have a job to tick the box on the loan app! They seem to want that :rolleyes:

fols likes this.
  18. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Just want to clarify: You are not redundant but your old position is.

Also take it as a paid well deserved holiday. You probably do not have any other chance to have long paid holiday and break.

retire@45 likes this.
  19. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

I wished I was made redundant towards the end of my corporate career. Had a feeling I was going to get tapped but it never came :(

The best cure for fear is action.

If you are feeling stuck then go out and do something. Some suggestions:

- Read books, good personal development books (Slight Edge, The Magic of Thinking Big, Think Grow Rich etc)
    - Listen to audios, good personal development audios
    - Go somewhere quiet, away from everything and write a 100 goals list. You will be amazed at how difficult this can be and what comes out. 100 goals you want to achieve in your lifetime.

Pretty sure after that you will figure out what you want to do :)

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Michael

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's interesting once it's written down it's likely to happen - so let it be written, so let it be done.
    I found a 5 year plan I had written during a course when I was about 20 (seemed a bit pie in the sky or the optimism of youth at the time) and flippantly stored away with other documents.
    Found it about 7 years later, and surely enough I had ticked off most of the boxes pretty accurately without consciously being aware of it. Next!

EN710, Observer, Gockie and 3 others like this.