Im after a book... Dealing with loss of a business

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 22nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Good evening pc oraclites,

Where does one find a book.... or similar ;)

I'm after a businessy type book. A mate just sold his Cafe in London after 3 and half years. He didn't loose money on it, but he didn't make money either. He learnt heaps though!
    The last 6-12 months I've been talking to him more and I've learnt loads from him(there's no money in cafes!) and also talked books and other info from him.
    He's started up another business 6+mths so in food manufacturing (??) he has a product that is being sold at a few shops now and getting contracts signed to sell elsewhere. Fairly boutiquey, vego type snack

But I'm after a book to send him, he's been great to chat to and inspiring. and if people know the right books and business info and mindset its here! So if you have any books you think are up his alley I'd appreciate it. He reads heaps so maybe not top 10 type books but something inspiring and useful to keep him going,he's already going but something perhaps about dealing with the loss of a business. He seems gutted but knows it's for the best

Cheers

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I can't think of a book about losing a business but a 'not top 10' business book I really liked was called 'Small Giants', about how to have an amazing business/company without having to grow too big.

bob shovel likes this.
  3. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Thanks for that list, there's heaps there I've never heard of - just in time for 2 weeks of beach reading! :)

5. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

LOL yeah me too... I will get some for our holiday too :)

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hi Bob,

In regards to what not to do, your friend might like something like (the predator and the prey):-

Prices for Barbarians at the Gate by Bryan Burrough

or, from our very own outstanding Trevor Sykes

Prices for Six Months of Panic by Trevor Sykes

or, for (some might say) entertaining endeavours in annual reporting fiction (by Bethany McLean):-

Prices for The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean

or for some fair dinkum Aussie money shredding, Paul Barry can help you out with:-

Prices for Rich Kids by Paul Barry

On the other hand your friend might like to temper all this excitement with:-

Prices for Of Permanent Value by Andrew Kilpatrick

Merry Xmas.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. bob shovel

@Ted Varrick some good reads there by the looks! I might have to read it first

Merry Christmas!

9. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Kerry Stokes Bio "the boy from nowhere" is a good motivational / biz book.

John Brooks "business adventures" is a cracker, the favourite of Bill Gates among others

Albert Facey's "a fortunate life" isn't a business book but I think a great read for anyone to put their circumstances in perspective. Which reminds me, I have to read it again..

10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Maybe not entirely business related, but Kate Moloney's book on recovering after getting smashed might have some relevant lessons.
    Should be out early next year.

Kate Moloney and bob shovel like this.
  11. Ted Varrick

And Merry Christmas to you too, Bob.

And I hope you don't shovel (no pun intended) money down a hole like some of the "entrepreneurs" (and I use the term loosely) mentioned in some of those book recommendations...

12. Ted Varrick

Hi The Falcon,

I have to add that I found John Brooks "Business Adventures", even after the relative BG and WB "best book" hype, decidedly ordinary, and nowhere near as entertaining as redirecting my $15 towards Hot Schnitzel on the nose in a number of Melbourne races this year.

As I'm almost to the end of it, I'm finding the last chapter fairly interesting, in a historical context, but the rest was more like chewing gum for your brain.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Satyajit Das a lot more interesting and am looking forward to his latest one (Prices for Banquet of Consequences (W/T) by Satyajit Das) (Disclaimer: I have no association with him and find it awkward to spell his name, but his books are very good. However, I would be happy to buy him a beer if he were interested...).

13. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Often its not the loss of money that hurts the most, its not having your expectations met. If people don't deal with their "mind stuff" around failure then they risk re enacting the same patterns at another point in their life.

Its a process to heal from it, but it CAN be done with conscious effort.

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2015
    bob shovel likes this.
  15. bob shovel

That's sounds good. Is it a bit of a kick in the guts with that title though? Or all part of business life, going on to the next chapter?

Now... How does kindle work?? :oops: can I email it to him in the purchase details? Then he sorts out of he had a kindle or it looks like there's a kindle app can it be read through any book app?I have google books,I assume they have their own titles and readers

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There's apparently not a way to gift a Kindle book outside of the US.

You could point him in the direction of the book on Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ways-Bounce...i_kin_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451473641&sr=1-2 - it is more expensive though.

He would need the kindle app which is free and available on PC, MacBook, iOS and Android.

There is a way to send him a book you have purchased, but it involves downloading a program then emailing to his special kindle email address. That's a bit convoluted and perhaps not quite kosher. But Amazon have made it very difficult to do it legitimately.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. bob shovel

That's a bit complicated for me :oops:

That's for tips it sounds like a good book, the kindle deal one is a special title only for the kindle by the looks, the hard cover has a slightly different title.

I went for a safe choice, the richest man in Babylon. It's not quite what I was after but I know he hasn't read it. $10aud from Amazon UK delivered. Bargain! I was going to post him my copy when I was done but now I'll keep it

My dealer has another book waiting when I finish Babylon, Dr Irene someone. Along the mindset lines. He runs a small co-op in town and is a little eccentric but has one of those compact messy book shops, so knows his stuff! :)