I'm a bit confused

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Tizzy, 30th Oct, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

I'm way out of my depth when it comes to shares but I wondered if someone here could clear this confusion up for me.

If I own shares worth say, 50 cents each and then a big company ( where the shares are worth ten times mine) comes and takes over the company that I have shares in, what happens to the value of my shares?

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me :eek:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It depends on how they choose to purchase your shares.

Some takeovers will pay cash (you'll get $X cash for every share you own).

Some will pay via shares (you'll get $Y shares in the new company for every share you hold in the current company - in your example, if you had 10,000 shares in company A, you'd probably get something like 1,000 shares of company B ... but it depends on the purchase offer)

Some will pay via a combination or some other more complicated method.

3. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information Sim. Sounds a bit complicated actually and sounds like the shareholder has very little power at all.

I'd be distressed if I paid a lot for shares and the price fell substantially and then there was a takeover. You wouldn't get very much back. But then, if the takeover was a positive move, maybe your investment would grow.

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Tizzy,

There is usually a premium of around 30% if a takeover is announced.
    Though obviously depending on how much the shares dropped by this may not cover your initial outlay...

Cheers,

Dan

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Takeovers are often rumoured for weeks or months in advance. This can affect the share price well before any formal offer is made.