Illegally parked car on my car spot ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by AlbertWT, 15th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

lol, many thanks for the various response people :)
    I will put some notes on the car and waited for one week.

it's a Mazda 3 year 2013
    [​IMG]

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Officeworks sell A4 adhesive labels with "**** OFF" printed on a laser at home

3. AlbertWT

@neK the Rego is still active until 11 July 2017 after I checked.
    So do I have to wait until it is expired and then move it off to another location sneakily at night ?

This is an automatic car and it is braked so it will be hard to push myself even with 4 people :eek:.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Go too Woolworths and buy half a kilo of green tiger prawns and slightly open the bag and put the bag inside the front wheel section after 2 days you will not have a problem...imho..

Bayview likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Getting a bag from the servo is cheaper and stink better too. Who said cheap isn't good?

willair, sanj and Bayview like this.
  6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Had a similar issue with my first IP. Agent identified the empty space that they were meant to be using, looked up the corresponding apartment in the strata plan, knocked on their door and explained the parking arrangement. Problem solved quickly and amicably.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Have done this a couple of times at our workshop with folks who park across our rear access in the back alley....too lazy to park it 40 metres further down the lane and walk.

Hooked a tow rope onto the car, and dragged it out into the alley (but not blocking access).

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@AlbertWT By the initial description i would have thought it been an older car with no rego... why would someone leave a car less than 5 years old with registration parked there permanently... so you definitely sure its not being moved during the day (ie while you're not home)?

Could always gets some big maori blokes to move the car for you :p They'll probably do it for a slab of VB :D

wylie and AlbertWT like this.
  9. AlbertWT

@neK lol, not sure mate o_O, but the position of the wheel and everything remains the same for months as can be noticed by the building manager.
    I'll wait for maximum 1 month after the rego has ended, then ask my solicitor to write some letter to the Strata Manager to gain some traction in this case.

10. Paul@PAS

As owner of the car space you could action it now. Despite all joking about here Police may be the best course (strata wont be any help) and if they wont assist then secure the car (attach a visible for sale sign with your mobile no ?). I'm sure you will get their attention.

AlbertWT likes this.
  11. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Someone I know once parked in a reserved Zone for a few hours and came back to see "No Parking" painted all over the car. o_O

dabbler likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

I dont think malicious damage is a solution.

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Years ago when I worked in a building where we were the only tenants, we would sometimes get people who would park their car in there all day - there was this one beat up commodore that stayed there for about a week.

We called the police and their response was "we can't do anything as its on private property"
    Luckily the owner showed up and drove off.

But i do like the suggestion of the For Sale to get attention - but I would get a pre-paid sim as a burner so that you could dispose of the number afterwards :)

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Paint your unit number at the entry to parking bay.
    If its still there the next day, remove the plates, take to the RMS and "leave" on a seat in the waiting area !
    By day 3, use @Paul@PFI suggestion and use a trolley jack to "roll" out into common area (and park your car in YOUR bay ;)
    Day 4, send a PM to @datto as free transport is always a PLUS :D

AlbertWT likes this.
  15. Possumcreek

Possumcreek Well-Known Member

I wonder if the owner has gone overseas and left the car there in good faith with friend/family that live in the complex, after all it didn't concern your tenant.

AlbertWT likes this.
  16. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

If you can prove that the parking space is yours, and its on private property (not open to and used by the public), you can legally have it towed (at your expense) to the road.
    The police will not get involved in this on private property, and will advise the same.
    IF it then runs out of rego, whilst on the road, call council and they will put big fluro stickers all over it giving the owners 14 days to register or remove, else it gets removed and auctioned off.

17. AlbertWT

Hi all,
    Update on this case:

It turns out that the owner of some apartment units in the building who rent it out to the overcrowded people, rent it out to one of their tenants !!!o_O

I met him yesterday explaining that it is my spot, while he is jumpstarting the car, he mentioned that no one in my unit or the neighbour has car before (according to the building manager), I smell something suspicious going on here.

The building manager himself kind of allowing the other landlord or tenant who got a car to rent it out or park there!

18. Paul@PAS

They rented your space ? Or just tolerated them parking there? One is a serious offence and the other is a misunderstanding (stupidity really)

Scott No Mates and wylie like this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@AlbertWT - Assuming you were talking to the tenant, sounds like they were just BS'ing you. They probably needed somewhere to park and it was convenient to say the landlord rented it to them.

AlbertWT likes this.
  20. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

A fold down bollard can stop them in future