ASX Shares If you were only allowed to choose 4 ASX holdings - what would you choose, and why?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by KayTea, 11th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Hypothetical - in the interest of investigating the concept of simplification (which is often discussed in here...)

If 'the trading system' was altered, and each person (or trading entity) was only allowed to hold a maximum of 4 separate holdings, and you were only permitted to buy/sell a couple of times per year, what would you hold, and why?

I'm sure that people in different phases of their lives will have different responses (eg. retirees may be after income, where as some may be more inclined to look for growth etc). But, if you had to select a small set of holdings that you couldn't tinker with too frequently, what would you hold? How would you arrive at your decision?

I'm expecting to see a lot of LICs and ETFs in the mix - but how would you decide which ones to choose?....

House likes this.
  2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

These are mine bought for growth, each are about 10% of my portfolio , Up to twice a year I take out my original capital (200%) so I don't get too overweight in one or the other. WTC - Strong revenue growth, high retention rates, incredible margins, rapid and long runway for growth, ambitious growth orientated founder with lots of skin in the game ALU & APX- solid balance sheet, strong growing dividend , tail wind from low $A. ALU winner take all and large cash reserve. XRO- High retention, loyal customers, gaining dominance in ANZ and UK making inroads in the USA. Strong growth. Bugger forgot NEA reason mentioned in another thread. NDQ for an ETF because you get 100 of the greatest companies ran by the best people in the world.

ms420 and KayTea like this.
  3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

So, it looks like you can’t cut it down to ‘only 4’, huh? It’s a real challenge :(

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So everything in the tech sector. I'm more cautious than that.

5. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

So what would your 4 be, @geoffw? I’m really interested to see what people pick, and why. While we’ve got such a diverse range of contributors here on PC, I’ll be interested to see if there are any trends or overlaps.

6. geoffw

I've only just started out, and I'm cautious, with ETFs - but still in the market, looking at individual stocks.
    VAS for Australian stocks
    VGB for bonds- a defensive holding
    IVV and NDQ for US stocks
    VAP for property exposure

So a range of sectors for safety.

Last edited: 11th May, 2019
    KayTea likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think my answers would be easy to guess as I have pasted elsewhere on PC.

This week would be:
    NAB, WBC, VCX, SGP

The Y-man

Redwing and KayTea like this.
  8. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

VAS
    VGS
    VGE/VAE

These are all that I would probably ever hold. If an ETF comes out with global or aus small cap value I would probably consider it as well.

rizzle and KayTea like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If I go back to using the basis of when I first started buying the shares it would be SOL, A2M, NDQ and CSL.
    And I wouldn't hardly sell.
    Why? Share price growth :)
    SOL is diversified, CSL is a worldwide leader, A2M seems to have a captive market (I'm lactose intolerant... Not "lack toes" thank you very much)
    NDQ for Nasdaq market leaders.

But... I suppose the question of "are they overvalued currently" is a worry as I am still in an accumulation phase and I'd be limited to these 4 stocks only in your hypothetical scenario... So I suppose a basic market ETF should be in the picture. Reckon I'd have to swap out CSL in that case.

Last edited: 12th May, 2019
    ms420 and KayTea like this.
  10. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Any concerns about the fact that Vanguard is the only star? I know some people think that diversification also extends to ensuring that different companies have control of the funds, too.

11. geoffw

My view.
    . Some of the ETFs are not available with other companies - at least not with large FUM. It would be difficult to achieve the same diversification with other companies.
    . The funds are backed by assets

I'm heavily Vanguard but not completely. And Vanguard are the pioneers of the genre.

KayTea likes this.
  12. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I actually hold all 4 that you've included. I wonder if I would continue to hold them if I had to cut down to 4.... I think it probably depends on whether I was wanting to chase income, or growth. SOL, CSL and A2M are all growing nicely - pity there's nothing happening with them increasing (or, in A2M's case, starting to pay) nice dividends.

13. blob2004

No concerns at all - I find diversifying to other fund companies more risky in the long term as they are more likely not to survive. Don't want to be paying that CGT when some of those ETF with low FUM closes. I trust Vanguard to always be there due to its ownership structure in the USA. If it falls...I doubt any other ETF providers will still be there as well.

KayTea likes this.
  14. blob2004

I used to hold APT and A2M but I sold all of them this year due to loss of interest in monitoring individual stocks. Good companies they were though, but anything can happen and all companies eventually disappear - don't want to be spending everyday tracking their news.

KayTea likes this.
  15. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

KayTea likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

RIO CBA TLS MTD

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Glad you don't trade the 4 letter stock codes

WEED
    METH
    DRUG
    BONG

:eek::D

The Y-man

KayTea and datto like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Surprised you never queried MTD as its not a listed code. It stands for Mt Druitt and it should be listed :)

And who said I don't trade the four you mentioned lol.

bobbyj and Scott No Mates like this.
  19. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Would there be any demand for MTD? You might as well list:

STD
    DUI
    B&E
    McD

datto likes this.