NSW If you had $1.8M to $2M to buy as a PPOR where would you buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jello_B, 20th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ditto. I would live in my Darlingtion apartment.... Office is walking distance (3km) away, or a quick trip (2 stops) by train. Easy to lock up and leave. Redfern station allows you to go pretty much everywhere. Don't choose the suburbs unless you have a good reason for it!

bmc and Jello_B like this.
  2. Jello_B

Jello_B Well-Known Member

Haha my gf sent me that exact house to look at. I’ve always bought closer to the city than that one, due to my opinion on capital gain. Am I wrong in assuming that something closer won’t appreciate more over the coming years?

3. Jello_B

Any reason you would do Alexandria (I looked quiet a bit here) compared to Rozelle or Balmain?

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I suggest talking to @datto

I think he can get you a whole neighbourhood for $2m :cool:

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Super bad feng shui too..... (big slope to rear)

The Y-man

Dark Phoenix and Jello_B like this.
  6. Jello_B

Absolutely agree, and I’m prepared for that. I am still considering which suburbs are going to hold value, even though they may not increase. My feeling is Balmain will hold better than Seaforth, but the house I’ll get in Seaforth will offer more space and be a better amenity generally. But I get the benefit of less driving from Balmain.
    Are there any suburbs I’m missing?

Cia likes this.
  7. Jello_B

Who said I enjoy time with my gf :p

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Jello_B

Sorry I also should have said I can’t buy an apartment. Must be a house. I want a dog and a lawn mower.

9. Gockie

Train transport to everywhere. And I think Alexandria has more gentrification potential. Certainly becoming more popular. Rozelle and Balmain have already gentrified.

Gotta say, if you can cope with the narrow streets of Balmain, good for you. A driving nightmare imo. Horrid for visitors.

Re: Seaforth. I don't know that much about that suburb. But a question. Can you cope with going over the Spit Bridge every day, twice a day? I think it can test people's patience.

Illusivedreams and Jello_B like this.
  10. Jello_B

No love for Crows Nest?

11. Jello_B

It’s a good point. I used to live on Stanton St Mosman, and that was bearable during peak hour. Seaforth is another 9 minutes (timed on a Saturday) further. I usually drive at 6am to work so miss the morning traffic. Peak at night time was painful though.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you can find something that'll be near the planned Metro Station. Once complete, demand & competition will be much higher.

Naremburn is a bit of a backwater but great location.

Jello_B likes this.
  13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

you have mentioned Balmain a few times now, so I’m guessing you like the vibe and the demographic of the area.
    Balmain / Birchgrove / Rozelle all have a uniqueness about them. (however i am a little biased)
    Annandale and Glebe are also popular with the inner city'ites.

some of the older inner city parts (e.g.: Darlington) are a seeing some cash injection in the last few years. old places are getting renovated and a new feel to area is underway.

keep your dog and ditch the lawn mower.

I think you already know your answer.

Cia likes this.
  14. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Well-Known Member

Hi,

I moved to Sydney more than 10 years ago. I had spent the first 8 years living in those leafy northern suburbs i.e. Epping, Marsfield and Eastwood. At the time, they were indisputably peaceful and people were literally down to earth. My Aussie neighbours were decent human beings. They had BBQ and ice cream every weekend and never forgot to ask us to join.

I only moved to the west a few years ago since we were totally priced out of those prime suburbs. Besides the amazing Asian cuisines, the west has so much more to offer rather than those stereotyped on the media, i.e. aggressive drivers, bogans and the likes. So if one wants his children to become spoiled brats, there will never be a better place than Western Sydney.

Recently, I have returned to those northern suburbs and there were lots of changes including those ugly high-rise apartments in Epping and Eastwood, which will undoubtedly put more pressure on the already bad traffic conditions in those places. Nonetheless, If I had $2M in cash now, I would definitely move up north a little bit. For example, Beecroft, Cheltenham or Pennant Hills. The public schools from primary to high schools, though not selective, are the best public schools in Sydney. Free standing houses on massive blocks of land plus those suburbs are well-established with train stations and bus stops.

To me, the Inner West is not ideal for PPOR unless I can afford a house with dimension of 15mx40m and the traffic is much worse! However, the real estate sub-markets there are perfect for investment grade!

All the best with your PPOR!

Jacque, Bc83 and Jello_B like this.
  15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Not sure "the scientist" cares about superstitions! ;)

Beecroft, up 82% since 2010.
    Marickville up 77% since 2010.
    Balmain up 64% since 2010
    Mosman up 71% since 2010

I know past performance isn't necessarily an indicator of future performance, but it shows that there's no reason to believe (for me at least) that more expensive suburbs will outperform good established suburbs that are a bit further out.

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2019
    Jmillar and Jello_B like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

@scientist will only buy house No. 4 - less competition (that's where the science comes in).

scientist, MikeyBallarat and spludgey like this.
  17. Gockie

I'm in Epping, it's lovely, I have a Brush turkeys running around, there's even a Brush turkey chick spotted living in our garden.....

But I still think the OP is more inclined towards the city/near city. Smaller blocks of land are easy maintenance. Why live in the north west when you can live near the city and save commuting time? More action happening too.

Jello_B likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

I'm over at Lewisham at present. There's brush turkeys here too. A couple of bush turkeys too. :rolleyes:

Phantom, Jello_B and Gockie like this.
  19. Jello_B

Thanks. Biased as in you live in the area? What do you think about Lilyfield?

20. Jello_B

Thanks for the info on Metro I will check it out. In and around Crows Nest is beautiful (Neutral Bay, Cremorne etc...). Is there much to split the difference or is it mainly the more East you move the more it costs?