If you are thinking about starting Student Accommodation Please Read this First.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by fullylucky, 25th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

I keep a log of bad events to remind myself not to be good to tenants...

[​IMG]

Feel free to add your own to this thread those that run student accommodation.

Landlord wants to give students and or working holiday a good environment, rest easy and complete comfort. Provides double bed for all rooms.

Pays for one person but two people (couple) lives in the room using the double bed. Refuses to pay for two people.
    Evil Landlord so evil, how am I meant to sleep on this small bed. Sucks! :mad:

Landlord provides the best possible brands of household appliances for common areas. Landlord provides individual locks for tenant’s rooms.

Tenant too “busy” to lock the front door but locks their own room door… I’m too busy to lock and unlock the main door. Who cares about the landlords belongs as long as my stuff is protected that’s all that matters~ suck it!

Landlord: After being robbed, cant’ claim home contents insurance since no sign of break and enter (from the unlocked door). Doesn’t want to invest in high quality home appliance only to be stolen again…

Evil Landlord only buys **** quality home brand kettle :’( I want to use Dyson vacuum cleaner not this no brand, inferior product….!!

Landlord provides good lighting in living areas and all rooms to create a nice atmosphere for the tenant.

Tenant: leaves EVERY single light on even when not home, even during the day. Hey stupid landlord I paid my rent. I’m gonna get my money’s worth *****!

Landlord: changes lights to a lower wattage light bulb (less power).
    Evil Landlord so stingy only put in **** light bulbs, not even bright….

Landlord wants to give tenant privacy, doesn’t drop by every second day to check on the house. Comes by as few times as possible so they don’t intrude.
    Tenant doesn’t report toilet cistern continuously leaking. 15,000L of water wasted a day… massive water bill. (Simple text? or call or msg? Nope. Too busy being a tenant…)

Evil Landlord has nothing better to do then to bother me and perv on me and doesn’t give me PRIVACY!!! :’(

Landlord provides top of the range $900 dishwasher knowing students are busy with their studies can save them time and effort. Working holiday tenants are tired from work.

Tenant treats the dishwasher like a garbage disposal unit, doesn’t remove food scraps before jamming in the dishes. Australian labour is expensive. Costs $90 just to call out a plumber just to look at it and $190 to fix.

Evil Landlord doesn’t even provide a working dishwasher! What a stingy loser! lol

Landlord provides working oven to cook pizza and lasagnes, YUMM!
    Tenant always forgets to turn off oven. (fire hazard) Doesn’t clean oven after using it…. Landlord should clean it… it’s their house!

Evil Landlord doesn’t even provide a working oven??!

Landlord provides washing machine, water and electricity included in the price of rent. No extra fees.

Tenant runs the washing machine with one pair of underwear instead of full or half load, full water. Tenant started a dry cleaning business.

Evil Landlord installed a pay per use washing machine??! The hell is this?

Landlord knows this is the first time students have their freedom from their parents. No curfew for coming home. Can party all night and come home anytime.

Tenant: comes home, gets dropped off by loud friends, that wakes up the whole neighbourhood at 3 am in the morning. Neighbours complains.

Landlord had enough after receiving multiple complaints from neighbours and giving the tenant multiple warnings.
    Evil Landlord locks the door after 10PM? WTF?! I can’t even get into my own room that I paid for?!?

DATE: 19/10/2014
    Landlord buys and puts more chairs in the living room around dining room table so it’s easier to have friends over for a friendly gathering.

Tenant: Uses chair for haircut… doesn’t clean chair after use.

DATE: 10/03/2015
    New house has toilet vent fan to extract smelly air (luxury item). There’s a switch for a reason.

Tenant: I paid my rent, better get my money’s worth *****. Leaves vent fan on all day 24/7.

Evil Landlord disconnected the fan? It’s broken?? why would the stupid ass landlord fix it??!

DATE: 22/03/2015
    Tenant doesn’t have a car, asks landlord to take them to the computer shop to buy a laptop. Landlord triple checks are you sure you want to buy the laptop?? Tenants says yes, keeps nagging the landlord to take them even though it’s not landlords responsibility. Landlord spends their only spare time in the week and takes the tenant on a Saturday to buy the laptop.

Tenant: After going, tenants accuses of landlord trying to “sell” / scam (only $300 computer…) them and forces landlord to buy the laptop off them just because they don’t know how to use a computer…

I’m calling the police!!! You are trying to scam me!! You have to buy this computer off me!

Moral of this story is students ruin the environment for themselves and other students.
    Sometimes landlords are forced to be harsh and mean…

QUOTE:
    “Those who are heartless once cared too much….”

If tenants only act reasonable instead of being so selfish and inconsiderate of others everything would be really great.

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2016
    AlbertWT and The Y-man like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

are you the landlord or the tenant?

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Some good points @fullylucky

Separate electric and water submeters puts the onus back on tenant.

Timers on lights and exhaust fans.

Door closers with self-latching doors to ensure securely locked doors (keyless combination locks with individual swipe cards). Take the swipe cards to the extreme and hard wire all appliances.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. fullylucky

landlord...

Xenia likes this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

are you managing a student accommodation Fully?
    sounds like you are doing way too much for those tenants. I would not be driving them around anywhere.

also have a cap on electricity / gas charges where tenants pay anything over a certain amount.

fullylucky likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yep - seen plenty of cases in several rooming accomos of washing machines run on "full load" with a pair of socks, looooooooong showers, people opening windows in winter because it is too hot with the heater on high, etc etc

The Y-man

legallyblonde likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

we used to install paid washing machines and dryers - $2 per load.

But we generally don't do them any more - normal rentals are so much easier.

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I think you've talked me out of it with that comprehensive list.

Whitecat, 733 and KayTea like this.
  9. eskander

eskander Well-Known Member

Tenant: I failed university so have to return interstate and will be moving out, it's not fair to make me pay rent.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Wow, surely there are some good points, can't be all bad.

Landlord takes in two lovely female Swedish backpackers.
    Landlod rushes out and buys extra comfy King size double bed, several maid outfits and a mankini.....ggrrrrrrr.....

11. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Must have been 100 pizza boxes left in the garage at the end of the year, and about 30 slabs of empty bottles

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bashworth - what garage? You're talking cash-strapped students not tenants.

13. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

4 students sharing a house. . . . as there was no cars the rubbish was just left in the empty garage (what's worse one of the students was my daughter!)

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that in Vic, you cannot charge for utilities unless a room exclusiveley used by a tenant is separately metered.

The Y-man

Xenia likes this.
  15. akira

akira Active Member

2 important key points in student accommodation.
    * good house rules
    * good selection of tenants (try to get the study type, not the party one)

16. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Never do business with children or animals. Students are a combo of both :eek:

17. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

is this from experience in brisbane? i'm currently evaluating the pros of running a registered rooming house.

18. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Some student digs I visited once, an old style place at Bondi, had all the internal architraves decorated with beer stubbies, every room and hallway. Must have been hundreds of them.

But there are bad landlords out there too, I once rented a room with kitchenette in Bondi for 2 weeks. I never used the cooktop or oven. After 2 weeks she wouldn't give me my bond back until the oven and stove very cleaned spotlessly with some special product I had to buy, even though I never used the oven. Then I had to clean the carpet with some other product to get some small white dots out that looked pretty old, it was identical to when I moved in.

19. fullylucky

The ones that have dates are first-hand experience. all others are a combination of first and second-hand experience.

but note, none of it is exaggerated.

Skyegirl likes this.
  20. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

We did it for a year in Brisbane, wouldn't do it again.