If IO Loan 100% offset does that affect Broker commission

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kaibo, 14th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

If I take out an IO loan and have the full amount offset (pay no interest) in the offset account will that affect the commission for the broker?

What is the industry norm for commission on a 1 million dollar loan nowadays anyway?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Commissions are paid on the balance owing, net of offset and redraw. Thus if the loan is fully offset at settlement, it means $0 upfront commission and $0 trail commission. So in the scenario you've outlined, the broker doesn't get paid.

Generally commissions are 0.6% upfront and 0.15% trail (plus GST). There is also usually a clawback period of 1 - 2 years. If the loan is closed (for any reason) during that period, the broker will likely have to pay back all or part of their commission.

I'm trying to think of any other industry that may not get paid based on the actions of the client after there service provider has completed the service...

Redwood and piggybackzebra like this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Its worse than the broker doesnt get paid :)

Broker businesses have various costs, ranging up to around 1500 per loan settled.

So in many cases, the broker PAYS for the loan to be settled.

ta
    rolf

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

They get $0

If you eventually spend the money they might get something.

Cheers

Jamie

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What about sitting cash into offset ten years into the loan?

6. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

What about money is put into offset few days after the settlement?

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Different lenders have different dates at which they calculate these things but it could work if you get the timing right.

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Most actually measure the offset between 1 - 3 weeks after settlement.

They generally review it after 12 months, so there is the possibility of getting paid later. This came in about a year ago, it was part of the many reviews that were done at the same time as the Royal Commission.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Related, and it could have been answered in other threads, but what is generally the minimum loan amount to make a transaction worth a broker's time?

10. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

I asked this on another thread.

Responses I got was depends on the broker, but $200k would generally interest most.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

About $200k might be a break even from the upfront commission to recover the costs a broker incurs. Given the ever increasing verification, I can see an argument for that becoming $300k or more though.

That said, most brokers write plenty of loans that are much smaller and don't really think twice about it. I'm also writing a loan of almost $2M at the moment and the workload is roughly the same. I just see it as good kama all round.

SOULFLY3 and Rex like this.
  12. Rolf Latham

Much depends on what the balance of the transaction holds.

Our business tends to be relationship rather than transaction based, and our costs are higher than most for various reasons.

have done 50 k loans at a significant loss, but usually this generates more lending and or referral business.

if a client is after " product fulfillment" rather than a relationship based advisory service, then for us it needs to be 500 k plus

ta
    rolf

Rex likes this.
  13. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Kind sir,

Can you please elaborate what costs that would include?

14. Rolf Latham

Broking Businesses like all enterprises have various levels of fixed costs around labour and on costs, rent or mortgage for premises.

A simple and sometimes scary metric/Sanity check is take the total cost of running the biz per month, and divide by the number of loans settled.

ta

rolf

AJP likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Time. Effort. Admin staff, Valuations, Aggregator fees, travel, postag, phone calls ......Share of business costs such as rent etc.

I dont know a single broker that wants to perform community service and help write deals and share and assist their knowledge & skills for no income. Even the one working for Westpac driving about in a VW beetle. Its a KPI killer.

I would argue:

Take total actual revenue for the year upfront (not trail) and divide by 1.1 so its GST exclusive. Then divide that value by the total hours spend working during the year (BOTH paid and unpaid outcomes) and then multiply by the total time which you dont get paid for. Lets say that 20% of your time ....This is the sunk cost of you performing community service and the lost income value of unpaid time. Its going to be a higher figure than actual direct and indirect costs.

16. Peter_Tersteeg

Licensing and compliance. The costs around these activities have significantly increased over the last few years. A few weeks ago my aggregation told me I must sign up for a compliance service...

I can name dozens of things which you can spend small amounts of money on, on a regular basis. Various forms of software is a big one. Individually not much, but taken in aggregate it's not hard to find $50k or more disappearing on the small stuff that you wouldn't even thing of.

17. Rolf Latham

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Depends on the lender - they all have different rules. Of all the changes made to brokers this one sucks the most - we either have to charge the client upfront, or look dodgy AF telling clients to keep their funds out of offset for 'x' amount of days so we don't have to charge. No one really wins - except the bank, of course ;)

19. Rolf Latham

A state manager for a lender that shall remain nameless advised me face to face that they needed the margin for the extra compliance and oversight work they were doing ................

ta
    rolf