Entertainment & Music Idyllic island/beach holiday - Asia

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lacrim, 17th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

But Duterte has made the Philippines a very safe place it is much safer now, and much safer than the worlds most live able city. It is a very child friendly place every-one takes responsibility for looking after kids least of all the parents. You cant leave a kid alone in Australia for 5 minutes you could leave a kid alone for a week in the Philippines and know the community will look after them.[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree with you and I think Duterte is doing good. He is really cleaning up the country, you just have to look at what he did to his city when he was mayor.
    I think my hubby is just concerned about being shot accidentally/mistaken identity by all of the vigilantes purporting to be working for duterte. I do think Boracay is completely safe though. All I'd be worried about there would be drinking too much or getting too sunburnt!

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We are doing Hoi An in July next year and from what I've read it will be around 36 degrees which is my type of weather. I like to be hot enough to want to swim, in Bali I struggle to be warm enough to swim. Rest of family don't but for some reason I don't feel the heat as easily as them

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK I'll seriously consider Vietnam - never been. And/or perhaps Thailand. But again, weather is the concern, not that good weather is ever guaranteed. I could do without whinging kids on holiday.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd recommend Bintan Island but it's going to be a push with your budget but they do have lots of options in the less resorty part of the island. For a family of 5 this is normally 2 rooms at most accomodation places - but can depend on the ages of children

It's part of Indonesia but you get to it via ferry from Singapore. It has white sand beaches, warm water and less bogans than Bali (actually practically none)

2017: Best of Bintan Island Tourism - TripAdvisor

5. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest Iririki Island in Vanuatu - crystal clear water for snorkelling and lots of day activities around. Cook Island was also a lot of fun - I've still got my Cook Islands drivers licence somewhere.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Just continuing this thread (sorry), the decision is....Vietnam, in particular, Hoi An and surrounds!

I hear the weather is hot as in July but what the hell...I like the juxtaposition of leaving Oz in the middle of winter to somewhere hot/tropical.

The question now is..we're likely to be flying into and out of Singapore from Oz(with Scoot). Therefore, where do you suggest flying into as my first port of call in Vietnam. Da Nang?

I'd like to see Hanoi and HCMC but will have to fly again to see them. And everytime you do that, the cost goes up (family of 5 remember?). Is Hanoi and HCMC a def must? Will a visit to Vietnam without going there be a crime?

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Having travelled as a family of 5 I can't comment on which in Vietnam to go with but it's the reason why we go to Bintan. Multiple flights and airports just kill me with 3 kids.

Decide on a good central location and see if you can train travel between the others as once you factor in getting to airport, being there 1-2hrs before flight, the stress of going through checkin/baggage etc it might be easier to go via train, bus or even private driver and be able to see a lot more from the ground than be in a plane

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I've only ever been to Hanoi and HCMC - and I'd always choose HCMC over Hanoi for the biggest "wow" and culture shock factor. I love it.

However family of 5 will mean organising a people mover rather than nominal small taxi (unless you have a few you can carry on the lap) to get aorund.

The Y-man

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Do you use Skyscanner? Put in your date, and then put flights from "singapore" to anywhere.
    That will show you pricing on your dates to each destination.
    We are flying Melb-Ho Chi Minh with Jetstar (Got $159 tix!) then Ho Chi Min to Da nang, will take taxi to Hoi An. We then Fly out on a $50 flight to Bangkok for 7 days (we will take a taxi to Hua Hin to spend a few days) and then we will drive back to Bangkok, then we are heading out of Thailand and into Kl for another $50 flight, then home with Airasia on our $104 flights which I booked last year. Sign up to Airasia and Jetstar so you don miss any deals. Jetstar regularly do $159-$189 direct flights to Ho Chi Minh

10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

From what I have read, Da Nang is your "fly to" base for Hoi An.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi Westminster I do know of Bintan and have never really been enticed. Not my style unfortunately and from what I know (people who've been there), the beaches are quite average. And it's not cheap.

From Singapore, I'd be more inclined to make the trek to Tioman island in Malaysia (which I've been to before). Fantastic beaches but the transportation there is a bit sus and there's massive monitor lizards roaming the island - they look like Komodo Dragons and whilst not dangerous (most of the time), a bit unnerving if they're up close. There was a story of one that grabbed an 8 month old from a kitchen though:eek:

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2017
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lol cramming everyone into a taxi in Asia is never a problem - well perhaps only in Singapore. I've seen 4 people on a motorbike in other parts of Asia!!

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I do exactly that Otie - very adept and experienced booking cheap flights. That sounds like a nice little itinerary. Perhaps I should emulate something similar except that I'm travelling during the school hols. Deals are scarce. Jetstar NEVER discount during school holidays.

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

And whilst I'll fly low cost airlines, I draw the line at Air Asia. Service is fine but I don't trust the 2 guys up the front, or the maintenance.

15. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We are going school holidays- I think we depart melb one day before holidays start

Lacrim likes this.
  16. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I have flown them around 50 times, whilst the Melb to KL flights can be a bit turbulent, thats the worst issue Ive ever had. Jetstar are a smoother ride on the dreamliner, but I would say 1/3rd of all flights I've ever flown with them are cancelled, changed or delayed. I take my chances on Air Asia as I figure we are way more likely to be involved in an accident on the way to the airport than a plane crash. Only thing I hate about cheap airlines is there is no comfort, but Im willing to trade 8 hours of discomfort to allow us to stay in 5 star accomodation once we get to our destination any day.

Lacrim likes this.
  17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Damn $159 is a great fare. I'll keep checking.

18. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@Lacrim have a look at jetstar at midnight
    I think they'll have $159 or cheap fares
    I'll post a link if they do
    I got an email tonight saying a sale is starting tonight

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Spring Sale. Got it.