Ideas for old brick exterior

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by LTLT16, 21st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LTLT16

LTLT16 Member

Just looking for some ideas on how people would improve this front-facing brick (eg render or cladding or painting)

I am not a fan of the current design, and not quite sure why they have given the window areas different bricks like this

How would you improve it?

TIA

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think white painted bricks would suit that style of facade. It's a bit "mid century modern" to my eyes.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't think it's a style that suits cladding except for maybe a feature somewhere and then only if it's vertical cladding. It's a very particular mid century modern so you could paint the brick or maybe render it.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm in the paint camp ... and put some sort of open screen (laser cut or timber slats or 60s style besa blocks) down between the front veranda and driveway.

Personally I cannot stand cream windows, but they are everywhere in home builds from the 1970s onwards, so try and find something that semi-matches the cream, while being a modern colour - perhaps a warm grey - and change out the security screens for something solid like "crimsafe".

It is a very flat front so, if you're not planning on gardening in the front, it will need some form of "something" to lift it from being in-your-face-bland

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I used to have a similar house. Get rid of the heritage colours. I painted the patio and front in Ironstone. I would render the front.

Attached Files:

7. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Paint the cream monument and the roof line. Leave the bricks Agree mid modern

8. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

Agree with the mid-century vibe. Work with it, don't make it another bland whitewash.

This could be really nice without the expense and maintenance hassles that come with painting or rendering brick. The windows and trims are letting it down. Charcoal grey trims and accents can look really nice with this sort of brick, some nice landscaping would make a difference as well.

Some midcentury themed balastrade or laser cut screens or breezeblocks could be used to add some dimension and interest around the entry way area.

9. wylie

The different colour between the windows is the bit that I find "off".

I still like the painted look and it reminds me of a house my aunt had, very similar in style, and it was painted, but built in the mid-century it had white painted timber windows. Perhaps each of us is drawn to something that sparks a good memory?

kimbrisvegas likes this.
  10. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

If we all liked the same things, life would be boring, wouldn't it?

I agree that the panels between the windows are the thing that are the most off putting, although the cream windows are a close second. I wonder if the original windows were removed at some point and thats when the panels went in. White timber windows would look nice on this house as well.

Sorry if I sounded a bit dissing the use of white or painting brick, because I often think it can be an option that is the right choice for some houses.

I often like a lovely white Palm Springs style house in the right context. And despite trying to find a stronger exterior scheme for my 1970s timber home, I have accepted that that we are probably going to have to go with white and charcoal trim for the original house, because I can't find any other scheme that looks right for it.

I just think on this house, the result will look a bit flat and bland compared to what could be achieved with adding a bit more interest with windows and trims that work better with the colour of the brick, and jazzing up entry way and landscaping.

I think I might be feeling a bit of backlash from watching way too many renovation programs recently with unsympathetic makeover of mid-century houses where everything is painted white, including beautiful timber ceiling beams that were a key architectural feature of the style and looked amazing as they were originally.

Bunbury, Joynz and Angel like this.
  11. wylie

I didn't mean to sound like I was offended by a different opinion. :)

And I agree about ways to give this facade some "wow"!!!

I also think a few spiky plants, different heights, very Palm Springs, up close to the facade, slightly off centre, would make a big difference to the flat facade, regardless of colour. It needs some plants. (That bush near the corner doesn't add any "wow". I'd take that out.)

TerryN and kimbrisvegas like this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

What about something like this. Paint patio and I think it’s called Fascia grey. Then just render a little bit and keep the rest original brick. Modern pics for colour inspiration, I wouldn’t render the second section near front door, that was a mistake 55BA34BF-389B-456B-841A-E92916EC45A7.png A711DA66-19F3-4D51-ADFC-57E1B1A060E3.png

Attached Files:

13. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

How much is the budget? :)

Often homes with a low roof pitch seem to have large windows on the front facade.

Also a point of difference is added to the front, using stone feature, or Besser Blocks, or a white wall.

Some tall plants in the front to add some layers/depth.

Here are some examples of the above.

303F3D25-5E80-45C2-8DC6-9F9282D226EF.jpeg 2EB7C246-53A6-4FF7-8BBB-DE118867C62D.jpeg DAE2204A-2246-4EA8-98E6-75A239F6EB17.jpeg DE66D57E-179E-41E3-82C2-FB88E1A6F3B4.jpeg

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I suspect the light coloured bricks (yuk) have been added in the 70s or 80s when people removed timber or other board cladding and wanted everything to be brick. I want to remove a couple of the cream bricks to see what is behind them, and go from there. I also want to swap out the current front windows for wider timber ones. This would be $$$.

Sorry, it's not my house, but I "want to" ......

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Google images for "modernised mid century homes exterior" - there are so many delicious ideas

modernised mid century home exterior - Google Search

This one sucked me in - love the look - and I know it's not brick, but the idea is to (perhaps) put a different material over the brick in an area, such as within the veranda confines, such as powdercoated colorbond, in a contrasting colour to what you paint the rest of the house

ABASEA a gorgeous, beautifully modernised original Byron Bay 1950’s home. - Byron Bay

No need to replace the windows with timber - which is high upkeep and expensive - although I'd consider replacing them with white powdercoated and a white timber trim around for the "look"

Last edited: 26th Jan, 2021
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Something simple like this would look great ... even simply painted rather than rendered (which is expensive

Screenshot (110).png

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think there is less painting of bricks in Melbourne than in some other states. In recent times, I mean.

People tend to prefer render - if they plan to keep the house. At least in the bayside suburbs.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Depends on the quality of the cement between the bricks ... but agree ... rendering first is better, but more expensive, so need to consider how much it adds value. Suspect Bayside has a wee bit more money than other locales

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The colour and style of brick is usually reason to render. eg the old red brick ages a property. Its like blue roof tiles should always be replaced or painted. Who thought that was a good trend ? These "style" issues apply to curtains, carpets (shag !!), roof, kitchen laminates (red / orange), glasswork on entry doors etc, bricks and even driveways. Every renovator will want to remove those period features and modernise to get bang for the buck.

Rendering is a issue when it comes to repainting. A render / coating wall may be a alternative. The coating is a heavy plastic based textured "paint" that will vastly remove the need to repaint. Textures can be smooth or fine or course. The stuff sticks like **** to a blanket.

Guide to render cost : 2020 How much does rendering cost?. They suggest the cost can achieve a value enhancement well above ( up to 10x) the spend.

AxeLy likes this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I would work with the style of house and apply a modernist touch to it ie Palm Springs feel to it eg

palm springs 2.jpg palm springs.jpg palm springs4.jpg

wylie, Lizzie and Propin like this.