Ideal retirement age

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Realist35, 9th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Hello PC Team,

I am curious to see what you guys consider to be an early retirement?

For me personally, I think it's 50 years of age. It gives one a lot of time to enjoy life but at the same time an opportunity to develop and utilize their human capital.

Redwing and Beano like this.
  2. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I’m hoping to stop paid work at 60, but 50 sounds better!

Realist35 likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Realist35 likes this.
  4. Joder

Joder New Member

Hi Realist35,

Honestly I believe it is what ever you can afford to live off. Everyone would have a different number for their own specific reasons. Personally the younger the better, but unfortunately for me it is not possible until about 40 since I wouldn't have enough for my retirement lifestyle.
    I would be keen to hear from others, even though I've read that people become bored and end up working in something that they love so they keep themselves busy rather than say sitting by the pool or going to parties if you get my drift.
    Peace out

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok - so I am sitting at home, reading Prop Chat all day, sleeping in, doing all that sort of stuff .... I think it's not just boredom as such - it's the whole social interaction thing - all the people I can relate to and hang out with are... at work!! Even Prop Chat goes pretty quiet during the day....

I think retirement is over-rated - I'm looking forward to jumping back into the workplace politics, whinges, crazy people and at the end of the day: a lot of fun.

The Y-man

freyja, Pumpkin, Stoffo and 11 others like this.
  6. Joder

Joder New Member

Hi The Y-man,

Please enlighten me on what has stopped you from entering the workforce.
    Peace!

7. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Lol can't think of anything worse (going back to work). I don't think I'll miss working one single bit.

At what age did you retire mate?

Seagreen and Joder like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is a loaded question surely

asap

lixas4 and Bunbury like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Old age
    • Expired visa
    • Can't be @rsted
    • Lack of transferable skills
    • Is extremely ugly :p
    • Has a problem dealing with people
    • Is agrophobic
    • No-one can afford him
    • Cannot go out during daylight hours
    • Y-man isn't his real name
    • Doesn't have a a TFN

Pumpkin, 38215, The Artisan and 6 others like this.
  10. Joder

Joder New Member

Hi Scott No Mates,

I guess The Y-Man doesn't regret retiring early then even though he said it's over rated. I am with Realist35 on this one, I can't wait to retire.

Peace out.

11. The Y-man

@Realist35 I got a package out of my "day job" at 50 per @moridog post above :D The payout set us up to have a comfortable investment income that we could theoretically retire on.

@Scott No Mates is spot on! Not only am I not a poster boy, it came down to a transferable skills issue of getting into a job I quite enjoy. Unfortunately, they told me due to accreditation changes, I am under-qualified..... so I am currently studying ... and am waiting for the outcome of some work I sent off... hence my "days off" at present (aside from the fact that summer break runs from November to March!!).

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

I have always believed - and still believe more than ever - that the "option to retire" is a really powerful state of mind in any "job".

IMHO If you have the financial freedom to walk out at any time - work stress becomes a lot easier to handle. You can tell your management (and staff) how you see it - and if you are (at least half) reasonable and your management truly cares about the business - they'll appreciate you, and you actually have power in the workplace. When you are not afraid of losing your job or upsetting your (immediate) bosses - you can be a much better and more productive worker. How many people think the actual work is ok but the fact that they are wage slaves sucks....Well that's my theory anyways....

The Y-man

freyja, Todd, PropDir and 11 others like this.
  13. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

I'm aiming for 51 only because I'm OCD and could not live with the mental anguish if I retired part way through my 25th year in the Brigade rather than seeing it out and retiring on my anniversary date. Having said that, I would have liked the option to retire at a much younger age but I started the FI journey too late.

However, whenever I do "retire" it will only be from the brigade and not from life or meaningful activity.

PropDir, orangestreet, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I thought you would have outgrown the brigade?
    Boys' Brigade - Wikipedia

PKFFW likes this.
  15. kierank

Whatever age one retires, not only does one require sufficient passive income to cover one’s lifestyle expenses (at least their “needs” and preferably their “wants”), one also must have a cash reserve to cover any unexpected events.

We have been retired for nearly 10 years now. In the last 3 years, we have had two health issues that were totally unexpected.

Total cost around $180,000. Thank goodness, we had full health insurance.

But even if we didn’t, we couldn’t have funded it all from our cash reserves. Albeit, it would have made a severe dint in our reserves.

pippen, Propin, number 5 and 4 others like this.
  16. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

That’s a a good point YMan, I theoretically could leave work and for the first time possibly in my working life have a better understanding of my personal worth in the workplace, this has certainly allowed me to be far more assertive than I ever remember being. In the last four weeks six colleagues have not had their contracts renewed and are instead casual.this is destabilising and distressing not to mention poor management. I can only look on and realise how fortunate I am to be permanent and think how bloody lucky I am to be almost at the end of my paid working life. But I still could take the leap of faith and I don’t like hearing my colleagues say “ oh, I’ll have to work until I’m 78 ya da ya da until the mortgage is paid off” because if you have a property you have options, many people don’t.

significance likes this.
  17. kierank

Beside the main purpose of giving back to my community, that is the second reason why I love doing volunteer work.

... they can sack me and it makes no difference to my income :eek:.

A really, really powerful position to be in (and one that shouldn't be abused).

iloveqld and Joder like this.
  18. The Y-man

I give back to my community voluntarily (education) AND they pay me $138~$198 an hour :D:D:D:D:D

The Y-man

19. kierank

Your definition of GIVING is obviously different to mine :p.

codeninja and Seagreen like this.
  20. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Seen it all too many times, my fathers age group, retiring at 65 and passing at 66-68.

Granted life choices plays a big part here. However stuff leaving a full working life to chance.

55 sounds safe and about right. Though I do think its important to keep active in some capacity, both physically and mentally.

Gimm likes this.