Ideal Passive Income Portfolio for Retirement - advice from forum experts

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by sash, 5th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nah there are regular updates, ie this tenant has renewed, that tenant has advised they will not be renewing etc plus aore substantive end of year update of the year gone by, forecasts for upcoming year/years and proposed next year distributoons are also discussed

The email figure of twice a year I mentioned was our emails to them, usually related to valuations for SMSF audit and sometimes a general "what are thoughts on selling early vs on time vs extending etc". Sometimes there has been another syndicate member interested in buying another unit or 2 so that is communicated to others in case someone wishes to sell.

Communication, reporting and general compliance has been too notch. Literally not once in 10 years, that I can remember, has a monthly payment been missed or has it been a chore to get end of year statements or to contact the folks running it.

For me a big source of comfort and confidence has been that they have always foreshadowed any potential dips and usually underpromised and overdelivered when it came to challenges, ie vacancies, tenant dramas whatever.
    When you consider the woeful state of the general Perth economy, including the commercial and retail sectors during a lot of the last 10 years I think they've done a very good job.

I don't have a dog in this fight in any way, just wanted to provide my perspective and experience. Of course many others would have the opposite experiences too which is why DD is important prior to investing.

for literally decades investors in primewest syndicates (as an example) around Perth have had positive results and been repeat investors with them so it's definitely an option worth considering for those who may be chasing a regular and decent income and wishing to diversify a bit, particularly those in or close to retirement.

2 other longstanding very successful repeat operators in this space are satterly and finbars Singaporean partner but both aren't open to you amd I unfortunately

Last edited: 20th Jun, 2021
    Big A and MTR like this.
  2. sanj

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No its not

I looked at Momentum, but I am not interested in this group, a couple red flags for me. Thats just me, maybe its ok???

The returns you mentioned for Clarkson very interesting. Nice you got in:)

Some lucky investors with the fund I mentioned had Charter Hall buy out a couple of their commercial properties within 3 years in Syd, for silly prices.

The larger funds dont seem to care what they pay if they want it bad enough its a done deal. This does not happen too often. Lucky investors

This fund’s first purchase I think was Floreat Forum and included extension/refurb of the hotel. i think they still have it, crazy returns. I was not in a position to buy in at the time.

also ironically my besties cousin is their accountant, only found out recently. It all helped to understand and build a level of confidence. I will be parking more money in this fund, I am just waiting for the right acquisitions to come along

sanj likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Gearing is not high

Yes, I understand your points and they are valid

I dont plan to be top heavy with REITs, but I certainly see a place for these in a portfolio.

Big A and sanj like this.
  5. sanj

Ah cool, thanks. Yeah I haven't put any money into anything momentum related, to me I just think they're a bit too scattergun- buyer's agent, property manager, developer, then started the development fund manager side, then bought Mair which is the entity they do their commecial investment funds through.

Plus the founder and MD is current reiwa president...sure they may have brilliant systems etc to handle all these various aspects but I've seen too many business try to do everything and end up ignoring what made them successful in the first place.

Last edited: 20th Jun, 2021
    MTR likes this.