Hydrologist Recommendation Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tim86, 21st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I had a subdivision get rejected by council because the hydrologist said in a flood event the filled block would impact on neighbouring properties.

Recently council brought out a new flood model and now the block actually has some defined flood levels by council (it didnt previously). And the council levels are 530mm lower than what the hydrologist came up with originally.

The block is currently 16.44m. According to council the 1 in 100 year flood height is 16.7m. The road access is 16.58m.

However the hydrologist previously said the 1 in 100 year flood level was 17.23m

So that a difference of 260mm of flood water on the block in an event and 790mm of flood water on the block in an event. So that may mean the required filling of the block may not impact on neighbouring properties any more.

I spoke with the hydrologist again and he said they could look at the brisbane city council models and see if they are done well enough to be usable.

But Im a bit apprehensive with going back to the same hydrologist that found such a bigger flood height than council did.

Can anyone recommend another hydrologist?

Or do I even bother with a hydrologist? Maybe I just submit an application to council and now that the flood height is so much lower they may not require a report on the potential impact on the neighbours?

Thanks

Tim

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Can you modify the design so that you don't enclose the floor to ground level ie build on piers rather than blockwork? Your structural engineer should be able to recommend a hydrologist.

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No you cant unfortunately. Council requires the new block to be filled to above flood height across 300m2 of it for it to be subdivided.

The hydrologist I spoke to said the fill has to be 300mm higher than the defined one in 100 year flood height. But I want to check that.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Maybe try these people. I have never personally used them so I don't know if they are good, bad or whatever but a friend of mine used them in the past and seemed happy.

Home

Tim86 likes this.